Film Club #11: WHAT HAPPENED, MISS SIMONE? (Wednesday 8pm)

There’s not much to suggest really, quite a small category.

I was going to suggest The Two Killings of Sam Cooke but I watched the trailer and it looked not good so :man_shrugging:

I think it looks promising, so I’ll nominate it! Also The Devil at the Crossroads (about Robert Johnson), could someone please make sure real quick that it’s on UK Netflix as well? I’ll check out the youtube suggestions for availability and then post the poll.

yep! i thought about going for that one too. it’s quite short though.

As @japes says, it is pretty short. Maybe if it was selected it could be a double bill with something else short.

The Sam Cooke one is only an hour and a quarter or something too.

1 Like

The Nixon/Johnny Cash one and the Miami Showband ones on Netflix are good. Miami Showband story’s a heartbreaker tbf

1 Like

Vote away! Poll closes at 6pm tomorrow, and at 8pm we watch the film with the most votes. If you want to be part of the DM live chat thread (highly recommended), please drop your name in the second poll.

Please note that because we’ve branched out to Youtube for this one, I have excluded films that are not on my foreign Netflix for this one. I have also included an option for a double bill of The Devil at the Crossroads and The Two Killings of Sam Cooke, as they are both quite short.

• Breadcrumb Trail
  • Rolling Thunder Revue
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?
  • The Punk Singer
  • Vieuphoria
  • The Two Killings of Sam Cooke
  • The Devil at the Crossroads
  • DOUBLE BILL: Two Killings and Crossroads
  • The Miami Showband Massacre
  • Tricky Dick and the Man in Black
0 voters

DM live chat?

Ah missed nominations

It would have been Soul Power (really great Bill Withers performance iirc too)

1 Like

Dig!

Queen Simone wins! Will set up the DM thread soon, but there is still time to sign up via the poll.

1 Like

Nice.

2 Likes

Have sent out DMs now. If you’ve not recieved a message from me but would like to take part in the live chat, please notify me here at no later than 7:50pm.

You know this is now on the extras disc of the Criterion ‘When We Were Kings’ blu-ray? Pretty sweet ‘special feature’!

1 Like

Nice. It’s such a great film.

1 Like

That’s a banger.

1 Like

Well, I guess that was pretty on-point for the film club in terms of mood. Not a very chatty film though.

2 Likes

i always struggle to appraise documentaries. find it difficult to separate the film from the subject, especially if it’s something i’m not familiar with.

enjoyed that though.

4 Likes

Same and same

Thought they’d done a good job of having several quite different interview objects, each one giving another dimension to what someone else was saying. Still wish they’d toned down the husband a bit though, maybe just included a line or two and then let others tell the rest.

Very powerful testimonies from her daughter, obviously, and would have been a completely different film without her.

what happened, miss simone?

0 voters