Films that look really good but are shit

I was very excited for Death of Stalin years ago but thought it was dreadful. Tenet, too.

5 Likes

Star wars films

4 Likes

Death of Stalin was good you wally.

24 Likes

I was pumped af for Les Miserables (with Anne Hathaway and Ed Red and every other famous actor) and then it turned out to be one of the worst trips to the pictures I’ve ever had.

Death Of Stalin was great though

1 Like

Death of Stalin was great.

2 Likes

another vote for Davideath of cool Stalin.

I think most films are worse than they look.

3 Likes

Films that ‘on paper’ should have been good, based upon who was involved in making them, but weren’t:

Heaven (directed by Tom Tykwer, from an idea by Krzysztof Kieślowski, starring Cate Blanchett)
The Truth (directed by Kore-eda, starring Juliette Binoche, Ethan Hawke and Catherine Deneuve)

Both were utter bobbins. I think directors making films not in their native language is very hard, and not many directors are able to pull it off first time out.

it was okay

The Truth is a good shout.

Death of Stalin was alright I thought. Ianucci’s David Copperfield was shite though

I’m thinking of ending things

2 Likes

Synecdoche, New York

2 Likes

Also excellent

4 Likes

There’ll be a better thread soon.

5 Likes

Another vote for Death of Stalin AND for David Copperfield

I’d say Anomalisa too, which gets bonus points bc it genuinely looks staggeringly good with all the intricate puppetry but I thought the story was rubbish

Another vote that they were good or shit?

I really like Dev Patel in fairness to the lad. Probably the only thing that kept me from leaving the cinema during it

Ad Astra

7 Likes

Enjoyed David Copperfield, as a friend greatly tempered my expectations for it, saying it was a bit of a Sunday afternoon flick, and I indeed went to see it on a Sunday afternoon when I was a little bit hungover, it was a great time

2 Likes

Amazing how bad this is given the cast