Films that should not have been made into franchises

Especially to get five films out of.

Well I would have said ‘Monster Manual’ but I’m not sure how many people know D&D stuff that well.

Rocky IV is gold! Though admittedly completely unnecessary…

1 Like

It’s a ‘set text’ for the pupils of Hogwarts in the books, and it’s written like that.

There was a Quiddich almanac too, as part of the same charity appeal.

I’ve seen all of the Human Centipedes :frowning:

1 Like

Just wait until the series of 5 Mighty Ducks style films based on Quidditch get announced.

1 Like

Terminator had no business continuing past two films

2 Likes

Starring Soccer Dog!

1 Like

Ah well, I don’t really have an issue with that per se. The play is an original piece and this seems to be original too. I mean if you’re going to do some ‘world building’ for fantasy stuff then it’s cool to see some of that world.

It really depends on what they’re planning for the others and whether they can get interesting scripts going.

As far as Rogue One goes, for example, this seems to be the sort of film that I think Star Wars should really be about: take the world but make a film in it that doesn’t have the weight of characters who must survive. So in that sense I like the notion of a franchise that is set in a world but where characters don’t have to move between the films.

GELATINOUS CUBE!

3 Likes

The whole thing has been rebranded as ‘JK Rowling’s Wizarding World’ cos shared universes are so hot right now. So I wouldn’t put that outside the realms of possibility.

• Alien
1 Like

This sort of thing, Theo:

Okay, both are based on books / graphic novels but still. No need for a whole series based on one book.

American Ninja should have called it a day after Dudikoff bowed out.

1 Like

I watched Genisys recently and holy shit what a mess of a film that was.

*plus Alien

Fantastic Beats wasn’t planned as five films based on the textbook the original kids use (and the IRL charity book Rowling published based on that) - it was always a backdoor for doing generic prequels for the HP universe, hence Dumbledore will be in the next one etc.

Another vote for Dudikoff Cool Water

The Dr Dre story

8 Likes

It’s like at King’s Cross they used to just have a little fake trolley going into the wall in a corner for people to take their photo with, then it got changed to a little area with a stall of Harry Potter merchandise next to the (very good) bookshop. Now the bookshop is gone, and there’s a whole massive Harry Potter shop and people in costumes trying to upsell things.