Films that you have watched lately

Acción Mutante. (1993) Oddball spanish comedy that has lots of killings and is entertaining for a twisted sort like myself.

great great film <3

1 Like

Notice some of the amazing casting? For instance the “anarchists”?

haha yes I did! Great touch - the kids from Moonrise Kingdom! I wasn’t sure if Japanese poet was anyone in particular ?

Probably! Method Man too!

1 Like

I’m well into animated films normally but switched this off halfway through, rubbish

Special Correspondents. Decent enough, not really hilarious, but worth a watch.

I saw this trailer at cinema today, didn’t even know it was a thing. Made me laugh more than most things recently.

1 Like

Paterson - This was quite pleasant I guess, not as enamoured with it as many people seem to be. I really liked it to a point (the scenes on the bus with folks chatting mainly) but thought it was a bit self-satisfied and the wife/gf character was an underwritten, unbearable cliche to the point where it was borderline offensive. Adam Driver was quite good, definitely the most convinced I’ve been by him but dog stole the show in performance terms, what a terrific little antagonist.

2 Likes

The dog was great

2 Likes

Watched Divines last night, which is a new Netflix original. About two young girls living in a poor estate in Paris that try and make money by dealing drugs, and their coming of age in the midst of that. Which sounds generic as fuck but it’s told in a different enough way for it to work. The main lead is a pretty decent actor and the last half hour is really gripping stuff. As a whole though the film is a little rough in the way it’s put together, neither gritty or stylish enough, and with a couple of sequences which don’t quite work.

Closest comparison is Girlhood which is by far the better film, but if you’ve already seen that then give this a try.

Saw Fantastic Beasts. Was alright, liked the 1920’s aesthetic and was entertaining enough. Not sure I rate Redmayne as an actor, all he does is look down, blink a lot and does a hugh grant um, ah before speaking, all the time.

Technically he’s superb. However there is absolutely no depth to any of his performances whatsoever, rendering it all pointless.

I hated The Danish Girl with such ferocity I have made a deal with myself to never watch another film he’s in.

1 Like

Went retro on Friday night and watched No Way Out
Lots of big 80s hair
Costner in boating shoes, tight shorts and white socks
Sean Young’s ‘talents’
Gene Hackman
An early uncredited Brad Pitt laughing theatrically for half a second

Proper old-fashioned, pacy, plot with a (spolier) great final twist

yeah this is about right. I find Jarmusch incredibly smug most of the time so I think my enjoyment of this film was just down to him reigning his smugness into something a bit more focused. Laura is an interesting case because I think their love for each other justifies each other’s short-comings (an that’s kinda the main point of the movie) but it does feel quite disproportionately weighted.

She just wasn’t a human being (or at least not an adult) by any stretch of imagination, it was the manic-pixie dreamgirl turned up to 11. Infantilised quirkiness in lieu of character that existed purely so the bloke could have “something” to hold dear. Literally just “the thinking-man’s” eye-candy, the sort of thing that male “indie-darlings” can only get away with without being called out for some reason. It’s women as props, no better than Michael Bay’s use of Megan Fox or whatever.

1 Like

aye, i found Peter Bradshaw’s defence of it quite interesting

Not actually read his review yet but I know he liked it, will have a wee look :thumbsup:

Letter from an Unknown Woman

realised about 50 minutes in I had seen it before

Hunt for the wilderpeople (pretty good)
Absolutely fabulous (not)