Films that you have watched lately

Getting to see this on Friday :+1:

1 Like

How does it compare to 12 years a slave?

Vastly, vastly inferior. “I wish Steve McQueen had directed this story” was something I said to my gf after it.

The more I sit with it the more issues I have with it tbh and not just because I’ve become aware of the Nate Turner rape controversy. I do think it’s something that is worth seeing for sure though.

Yeah that’s kinda kinda the vibe I got from the trailer. Not that there should only be a single telling in recent history especially of such a historically significant story but as a piece of film (or trailer anyway) I couldn’t help thinking it anyway. That and yeah, the controversy surrounding it anyway

Have a bunch:

Nocturnal Animals : Good and incredibly powerful if slightly problematic upon reflection
Arrival : Alright
Allied : Mostly shite but I liked how the first part of the film is set in Casablanca at the same time as the film Casablanca
Bantstastic Feasts: So shite although how much did I fancy the sister???
Dr Strange : I liked it, fuck off

Genuinely the best film I’ve seen in years. Enjoy.

1 Like

awesome, really looking forward to it now!

annual viewing of it’s a wonderful life, brought forwards from trad xmas eve slot as was in the cinema

second time seeing it in the cinema for me - last time was the 60th anniversary showing in 1997!

4 Likes

Recent ones

The Drop. Pretty good, nice twists and performances if a bit lightweight
Humpday. Really enjoyed this. Dont normally like the Duplass stuff but thought this handled the subject excellently
Dr Strangelove. I didnt love thia. I think I expectes it to be more of a broad comedy. A film to admire more than enjoy

Whoa, you weren’t kidding around huh

Right? It’s trite and unoriginal to call something a masterpiece but it truly is. Nothing is wasted, all 3 leads are stunning and those last 10 minutes. Holy. Shit.

1 Like

Even just “the final shot” :anguished:

Also OMG JANELLE MONAE I LOVE YOU SO MUCH

140 - One More Time With Feeling* - Not at all what I was expecting and all the better for it. Andrew Dominik is just terrific.

141 - Chi-Raq* - Talked about it up there

142 - Road House* - How they stretched this out to two hours is a mystery, but it’s so brilliant. Also shit, but mostly brilliant.

143 - Anomalisa* - Fine up to a point (that point being when the puppets banged).

144 - The Muppets Christmas Carol - I met an adult human being who hadn’t seen this and decided to rectify it.

Zoolander Two. I don’t like the first one at all but fuck me gently, this was horrific. One of the most convoluted plots for a comedy, with exposition and celebrity cameos being fucking everywhere. The transgender stuff with benedict cumberbatch is horrible to watch, but the breaking point for me was a joke about miscarriage at the end. To be involved with this mess makes me think all of the cast must be utter dickheads.

Including Penelope Cruz, who was also recently in Grimsby! The fuck happened to her?

Paddington (2014, dir. Paul King)

I really enjoyed this, in an odd way

1 Like

Paddington was…quite nice?

Just watched Bone Tomahawk. That was … Hmm.

Paddington is one of the best films to come out this decade.

another vote for paddington

Yeah. That scene though… :confused: