Films you loved when you were younger that you can never rewatch

Inspired by the ‘worst film thread’: I think we all have at least one of those films, don’t we? A film you loved when you were younger that you can’t bring yourself to watch now you’re older because, deep down, you’re scared that it’s not actually as good as you remember it being.

I think for me, and I suspect at least a few others, it’s probably Donnie Darko. Seemed very deep at the time, and I worry that actually it’s really not. Great music, though. What’s yours? Equally, bring your tales of films you rewatched nonetheless and found that they were as good as you thought!

the santa clause

Great scene tho

I went through a phase of thinking Garden State was good :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

In fact I can’t rewatch any films with Zach Braff in them. Ever.

Same. Garden state of that prick

I thought this was going to be the case with Basil The Great Mouse Detective (or whatever it’s currently called). Saw it when I was four and remembered it being great. Next watched it at the age of 25 and expected it to look cheap and shit… Turns out it’s one of the funniest and most entertaining Disney films there is, with great animation!

The Water Babies. Used to love it when it came on TV, loved the songs and the mix of real and animated footage seemed amazing when I was little. Sadly, the last time it came on the one star Radio Times review called it “ghastly” and stated " the cartooning is bland, the voicing of the sea creatures and the water babies too cute, and the songs are a disgrace." Didn’t dare watch it.

I remember when I was younger actually thinking the remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was good (before I had seen the original). I imagine that’s not the case

Temple of Doom. Pretty sure it was my fave film as a wee 29. Re-watched it a couple of years ago, fucking hell everyone in it is awful.

The Radio Times is wrong! Yes, it’s not very faithful to Charles Kingsley’s book but it’s a fun wee story with some great over the top performances both in the live action and the cartoon sections. I like the scouser otters and the polar bears best.

…and you won’t get that bloody song out of your head for weeks.

He-Man masters of the universe

Flash Gordon

Would love to watch them both again but remember them being so brilliant that i’d hate to ruin that memory.

Flash Gordon is still brilliant

I was pretty young when The Phantom Menace came out and had never seen any of the original films, and me and my brother absolutely loved it. Reckon I’ve watched the final half hour or with him at least 30 times.

In my head it’s still not bad, and I still like claiming it’s my favourite Star Wars film to annoy fans, but I don’t want to watch it again and confirm that it is a bit shit.

Years ago, I made the mistake of rewatching Short Circuit, one of my favourite films from when I was a kid. It is terrible. Every 80s cliché under the sun, from questionable racial politics to multiple members of the Police Academy cast.

On the other hand, at least I’ll always have Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

short circuit is the best!

SC2 is ok too

OSCARRR

i liked chicken run as a kid but now absolutely detest it

Short Circuit
Batteries not Included
Honey, I shrunk the Kids
Ghostbusters II (never a huge fan of I, bite me)
Tremors

Loved Croc Dundee as a nipper, but saw it on Film Four a week or so ago and so much of it has dated really badly, not least the racist gags and jokes at the expense of transpeople.

Was devastated to see the Ghostbusters firehouse covered in scaffold a few weeks ago when i visited. :frowning:

I must have seen the Golden Child about 30 times. Was dismayed to learn that it was considered the beginning of the end for Eddie Murphy and was critically panned. If it ever gets a Blu Ray release (doubtful) then I’m going to buy it.