First EOTR acts to be announced soon

Just bought tickets for next year.

We put the increase in twattish behaviour* down to the Mac DeMarco effect - seemed to be a lot of ‘kids’ there who were only really interested in him. It was hardly Reading / Leeds levels, but it was noticeable.

*aggressively pushing through crowds, throwing beer cans, pissing against fences etc

1 Like

I totally agree and yes, for sure nowhere near as bad as at a Reading/Leeds etc.

100% agree, but also think that father john misty and parquet courts would have helped bolster their numbers (nothing against any of these bands). Someone I know got a cup of piss spilt down them during the FJM set

@kallgeese’s ringo music bingo recomendation was very strong.

Also got approached by someone on sunday night who told me they had video footage of my award winning and incredibly raunchy karaoke version of Purple Rain from Friday night, which is worrying

3 Likes

Apologies to anyone that heard me singing along to Aztec Camera’s “Good Morning Britain” at the silent disco on Friday. I saw video footage of it on Saturday. You know those Facebook posts of the “Listen to this amazing Sam Cooke isolated vocal. INCREDIBLE!” ilk? Yeah, well, the concept is the same, the outcome, less so.

1 Like

Absolutely, just avoid the front of the Woods when it’s dry and someone “hyped” is playing (i.e. Mac or FJM).

That said, the sufjan crowd two years ago was one of the best for a headliner I’ve seen. I think musios wanting to enjoy it outnumbered any idiots on that occasion.

I definitely noticed more youngsters (and more creative haircuts) than previous years - but the atmosphere is still great 99% of the time.

Highlights for me were Jens on Friday night (new songs sounded great and I’d never heard him play Black Cab before), FJM, Parquet Courts and Alvvays.

Didn’t go last year but thought it was actually quieter than two years ago if anything. Definitely more A Level/Uni types though, some of whom were pretty annoying, but that only really affected me during all the pushing through for Pond (then I remembered I don’t like Pond so had no qualms in leaving).

Then again, there’s probably too many one-gig-a-year local middle class 50 year olds on their camping chairs at EOTR anyway.

Nah, those guys are fine. Same with the families…though I don’t envy them at all. Felt so sorry for the woman chasing her crawling daughter through the crowd watching The Burning Hell.

Find it funny you’re all complaining about young people having a good time at a fucking music festival

1 Like

Were you one of those guys at Pond then (I wasn’t there)?

Joking aside…I don’t think it’s having a go at people enjoying themselves is it really? Sounds like all of us itt had a great time…but you can probably guarantee we didn’t obnoxiously push past others or talk loudly throughout sets.

I want to shout out to the parent that thought it’d be a good idea to take their 2 tiny children to the very front of Bo Ningen’s set, I don’t care how much you trust yourself to body block the massive mosh pit forming behind your kids they looked terrified and you should cut that shit out.

4 Likes

Didn’t go see Pond. Spent most of the festival stood anxious at the back of sets, bar FJM which I sang and danced my wee heart out to.

Lemon Twigs was awesome too.

Anyway yeah, I’m with you. I just get a bit irked when people say the festival isn’t as good with drunk teenagers.

Yeah…although I don’t really condone obnoxious behaviour, I didn’t find it too hard to avoid, so I think it’s a stretch to imply it ruins the whole thing.

Completely forgot to say that one of my highlights of the weekend was the quick chat me and my mate had with Big Jeff. He overheard us talking about the erased tapes takeover whilst browsing in the Rough Trade tent…so he told us about a Lubomyr Melnyk concert coming up in Bristol, as well as recommending we go see Blanck Mass and Deerhoof later (I managed the former but not the latter). Such an infectiously enthusiastic guy.

Big Jeff rules! https://twitter.com/BigJeffJohns/status/904812931380076544

2 Likes

Always pleasing to see him bobbing at the front of a set you’re watching…it confirms you made the right choice with the clashes (I was especially happy to see him as one of about 20 people who saw Lisa O’Neill).

1 Like

Belated thoughts.

First EOTR and thought it was incredible. The first two full days complete with the weather, were just perfect. Sunday was tough, but if you offered me two perfect festival weather days and one duffer beforehand I would have bitten your hand off.

The site was lovely and the people were great. In two minds about others thoughts about youngsters being a bit dickheady. I saw loads of people around the age of 18-20 just having a good time, that was it. They never came across as obnoxious to me, just having fun.

Over the last few years, EOTR seems to have evolved musically in quite a big way (looking at it purely on paper), so in turn it’ll attract slightly different fans. Music highlights:

Slowdive, Parquet Courts, Omni, Duds, WH Lung, Ty, Gold Panda, Blanck Mass, Perfume Genius.

Nice straw man argument. There’s a difference being a happy drunk/having a good time and being a dick to those around you.

This was definitely a small minority but it existed:

Hey, I’m throwing a cup of piss in the air, hey I’ve got a massive rucksack on which is repeatedly bashing into a middle age woman, hey I’m chucking a bottle of water and who cares where the bottle lands, hey I’m facing away from the stage for the entire gig and having a game with my mate of who can shout the loudest.

But I’m having a good time and it’s a music festival so fuck everyone else.

1 Like