First Record you bought?

You are right, just looked it up, oh well.

yeah, I really can’t imagine Gary and co sat around in 1980 dressed like new romantic pirates smoking a massive bifter and pulling a whitey!

I’m pretty sure “To cut a long story short I lost my mind” is the line.

2 Likes

It is, you are right. I was at that point between 2nd & 3rd pint at a music quiz and that song came on for an intermission and someone sang the “pulled a whitey” bit and I then thought Wow. I prefer the misheard version. It is a decent song.

1 Like

Single: Haddaway - What Is Love?
Album: Oasis - (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?

I was obviously looking for the answer to two very important questions.

My first album was also supposed to be an Iron Maiden cassette but returned it because it was sides 3 and 4 of a double cassette album but I’d bought a single cassette album. They didn’t have the tape for the one I had originally chosen so I got this instead:

Never did buy, or even hear, an Iron Maiden album in the end.

3 Likes

I had this cassette. I utterly rinsed it, played it constantly!

2 Likes

Crossroads by Bon Jovi. Enjoyed it a lot at the time.

2 Likes

Cassette: Aerosmith’s Get A Grip
CD: Body Count S/T
Cassette single: Pearl Jam - Spin The Black Circle
Cd Single: Dog Eat Dog: Who’s The King?
7": Unbelievable Truth - Settle Down, i think.
10": Elbow - Powder Blue
1’: Radiohead - Pyramid Song
Record: Radiohead - In Rainbows.

1 Like

Love the fact that you bought a song about how great vinyl is on cassette

4 Likes

And why would you have any regrets.
It’s fucking great.

1 Like

First w my own money:

Single/Cassette: Oasis - Dyou know what I mean?
Album/CD: Oasis - Be Here Now
LP: Oasis - Standing On The Shoulder(s) of Giants (in a very short lived Our Price in my home town, it was the only LP they had and it was on clearance for feck all)

first single was a cassette and it was either this

or this

from memory i think i went to buy the former but it was sold out so i bought the latter and went back for the former the following week

1 Like

first CD: my brother bought Green Day’s new album Warning and then i heard some of their old stuff and became invested in getting their back catalogue. i bought a CD-R of Nimrod from a classmate with a CD rewriter (remember when every classroom had someone making a mint off this?) and then went to Virgin to buy Dookie. they didn’t have it and we had to get them to order it in and wait for a phonecall. quaint.

first 7": my friend accidentally bought 2 copies of Idlewild’s El Capitan 7" so gave me one of them, then i started buying loads of old Idlewild 7"s off ebay

first vinyl album: In Rainbows boxset. the records have only been played a couple of times each on my mum’s old hi fi turntable. haven’t brought it to my house where my record player is as it’s a bit bulky.

First album I spent my own money on was Sixteen Stone by Bush because Mellon Collie was twice as expensive.

Before that after hearing their copy of U2’s Achtung Baby, I’d asked my parents if they could buy The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire, and Zooropa on cassette.

1 Like

Didn’t ring any bells listening to it but that’s actually quite beautiful. Sounds oddly like Dolly Parton duetting with Nico (father abrahams flat euro vowels! :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

A cassette of REM - Automatic for the people.

Jesus jones - doubt

Closely followed by:

Mock turtles - two sides
The farm - spartacus
Blur - leisure
Wonder stuff - never loved elvis

3 Likes

First few singles my parents bought for me:

The Firm - Star Trekkin’
Do The Bartman
Shaft - Roobarb & Custard

First single I bought myself:

not entirely sure; I didn’t tend to buy them. Might’ve been Ash - Oh Yeah

First album my parents bought for me:

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell II - Back Into Hell

First album I bought myself (cassette):

The Spin Doctors - Turn It Upside Down (what was I thinking?)

First album I bought myself (CD):

R.E.M. - Green

First album I bought myself (vinyl):

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (second hand)

Yes, it’s daft I know, but it’s quite a lovely song.