Fish and Chips: A Rolling Critique Thread

Wife had the more photogenic bit of fish, but still decent. Nice chunky fish, batter for the most part was crispy but had gone a bit soggy in the middle where it had been lying on top of the chips.

Chips were maybe a little limp for some people’s tastes, but I quite like them that way. Loads of em too.

Server nearly made the critical error of ladling the mushy pays onto the fish/chips in the tray until I stopped her and asked for them in a pot.

3 Likes

Shame you asked for a battered eel :frowning:

7 Likes

this instantly made my mouth water

2 Likes

I’m not huge on most fish (salmon and sea bass are my favourites), but funnily enough most things become tasty when deep fried

Chips look good, good portion size too. Batter looks pretty decent, would prefer a fatter piece of fish rather than long. Good plate. 7.2

sainsburys ketchup?

3 Likes

Wasn’t for me, but in any case ketchup is ketchup, m9.

giphy%20(1)

2 Likes

The posh stuff is alright, but that shit does the job just as well as your big name stuff.

2 Likes

Some supermarket own brand ketchup is ok, and the M&S one is as good as any. But Sainsbury’s Basics as good as Heinz? Nah not having that.

I’m a man who likes a good sauce, if it was shit I wouldn’t be having it. Absolutely nothing wrong with cheap red sauce. Not had it for ages, but Heinz is too sweet for my liking.

1 Like

Fair enough, the world would be very dull if we all liked the same ketchup. Tbh as a man who’ll buy any brown sauce there is, regardless of quality, I can’t really comment.

Not a brown sauce purchaser, but I’d imagine that is much harder to get right in a supermarket knock off version.

The Ship and Mitre, Liverpool

Delicious. Generous, flaky slab of fish in lovely juicy batter and a good helping of nicely crispy/fluffy chips, can’t fault it. Although that might be the Pilsner Urquells talking. 10/10

7 Likes

Yesterday
Was nice - was I a rush tho
8/10 - I should have got some moisture but like I say - I was in a rush

1 Like

One portion of chips split between the family, was it?

1 Like

No

2 Likes

A fish and chip portion can never be too big… Part of the joy of fish and chips is it’s always just a little too much to handle.

1 Like

Chips look a little anaemic.