Fish and Chips: A Rolling Critique Thread

Alreet, here goes -

Overall I’d give it good/10. We sat in and the service was a bit blah and it was over priced. Next time deffo just going to order takeaway and eat outside. Anyway, this thread isn’t about the service… batter was good, very crispy, haddock was good, mushy peas also good, good chips too. GOOD.

Also cheeky wee crab claws on the side there. You’ve guessed it, they were good!

8 Likes

that is some mondo fish, mate. what are the little bites? chips look peng too. this looks a solid 8.

1 Like

You could’ve sold that to me as a straight 9.5/10 - looks great

2 Likes

8 was very harsh upon a closer look actually. definitely a 9.

1 Like

They’re crab claws :crab:

4 Likes

This is a clear 9. Those crab claws look :yum:, good batter, nice array of sauces, personally would like a few more chips but other than that, yes please.

1 Like

Did you not recognise them outside of a pub setting?

Yeah, I think I know where I’m eating next time we’re in Edinburgh.

2 Likes

Haddock. Solid 8/10 from me

5 Likes

Chips look good, assume there’s more in the bag. Fish is a decent size, batter could be cooked a bit more for my taste, curry sauce looks very good. 8.4.

3 Likes

When did we start pitchfork ratings in here?

1 Like

I’m going 7.8.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing it all the way through zeal. Chipfork ratings.

2 Likes

Best New FNC

Chips look a bit too big and sturdy for my tastes.

Knife fish, my favourite.

7.9/10 here I think. no mushies and i’m worried about the quantity of chips.

1 Like

Fear not, there were plenty of auxiliary chips in the bag. Tv had mushy peas, I went for curry sauce and am a purist, not tolerating cross contamination!

1 Like

Absolutely.

See I’d likely only sit-in there. I loved the food but due to the popularity from the TV appearance some people i know have taken 45 mins in line to get takeaway! That’s not something I’m super into doing in a windy Edinburgh harbour in wintertime …

The service was not strong :grimacing: we arrived, had reserved a table and were left standing at the door for ages which happens but no one said hello or offered any explanation. The guy who took our order insisted on not writing anything down which I find really arogant, he of course forgot stuff and when I asked for what was missing, they looked a bit put out :confused:

It was so expensive too.

Boo hiss.

We wanted to do oyster happy hour but you can only do it at the bar. There were lots of free seats there (which might have been booked for later but still) but instead we had to find people sitting at the bar, and ask to swap our table for their bar seats and eat our whole meal there. Seemed like a lot of fuss and confusion when we were happy to sit at the bar for the short time to eat our oysters then go back to our table …