Fish is pointless to order at like 90% of restaurants

It’s never (90% of the time) fresh enough

The difference between fresh fish and not fresh fish is enormous

3 Likes

Too many mitigating factors; where you are in the country, what day of the week it is, what time of year etc etc

2 Likes

Absolutely this. Smack bang in the midlands here and there’s no good fish places around. Only ever eat fish in restaurants when I’m near the coast (so makes it a real lovely treat tbf).

6 Likes

Wouldn’t know

3 Likes

Very lucky to live where I do in this respect, especially during lobster season.

1 Like

Unless it’s Monkfish

1 Like

“Oh, I’ll have the fish please” - A Fool (90% of the time)

6 Likes

The old knowledge was to never order fish on a monday as restaurants typically get their fresh produce in on tuesdays and fridays. Don’t know how true it is these days but it has been stuck in my head for years. Thanks, Anthony.

4 Likes

Why is it ony fish that has to be fresh? You never hear people complaining that their chicken kiev isn’t fresh enough do you?

Mrs F will eat literally anything that’s been dragged out of the sea, but personally I’d rather starve.

Was just about to say there’s a day Anthony Bourdain said you should never order fish on, but couldnt remember the day. Cheers.

there’s some fish fingers been in my fridge for like six months now and i bet they’re still good

4 Likes

Yeah, fish is mostly shit and also terrible for the environment, no brainer just get rid

He did say it quite a long time ago though. And in America.

1 Like

A man stands naked in front of a mirror eating fish. He is a fool.

4 Likes

Ohhh I love lobster but eat it so rarely, same for crab too.

GO HANSEATIC OR GO HOME

6 Likes

Every so often I do think of that picture of that hanseatic platter you shared…I really want one :joy:

2 Likes

It’s so good. My dad is a lobster fisherman (used to be a fisherman, wholesaler and fishmonger too) so I’ve been spoiled with it.

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, it’s bloody lovely

My issue with fish (fissue) is that whole fish is such a pain to eat. You have two choices: leave a whole load of the fish, or adopt some really bad table manners :sweat_smile: (I usually end up doing the latter - I hate seeing good food going to waste)

2 Likes