Fitness and exercise thread 2023

I’ve managed at least 200 runs for the last 3 years in a row so am hoping to make it 4. That’s about 4 a week, give or take the odd illness or holiday, and I’m pretty confident I can do it. Otherwise it’s just about maintenance. I’m in good shape as it is, making sure I do at least an hour of exercise (running and some weights, or jump rope and burpees) for an hour before work everyday and need to keep this up given I’m now fully WFH.

I think I’ve likely peaked with fitness targets (VO2 max has been 56-57 but has been 55 for months now, I’ve managed sub-20 5K and sub-90 half marathon times when really pushing myself), so at 38 later this year I just wanna keep this level going for as long as age allows.

2 Likes

how do you get into these good habits? i’m okay getting up early in the summer but these really dark mornings are horrendous.

2 Likes

In 2020 I set myself a target of running 500k. Made, it just - literally clocked over on NYE, and that involved dragging myself around a park in the snow.

Tried it in 2021, didn’t make it, fell about 60k short.

Tried it again last year, fell about 150k short. There were some external factors (losing two spring months to Covid plus an injury, being away loads for work) but that felt really poor.

So, 500k again. That’s twice a week, it shouldn’t be that hard. Right.

4 Likes

Honestly, idk. Part of it is just being disciplined snd organised, setting out how I’ll make my day work and sticking really rigidly to it (but then I think life and my circumstances has given me the tools to be disciplined and organised, I accept entirely thay doesn’t come as easily to others). Part of it is that I’ve never been a huge sleeper and I’ll happily go to bed at 9pm if I’m not doing anything specific to help with a 5.30am wake up. Biggest part is probably that running has been huge for my overall mental and emotional health and sense of value/identity/purpose over the last few years, so I just know the benefits of it are worth the costs.

5 Likes

My main aim this year is to be consistent with yoga to keep my back in decent working order, throw some kettlebells around to improve my strength a wee bit and to lose a bit of weight. Not for aesthetic reasons - I’m just at the point where I have a few health issues, all of which the number 1 remedy on the respective NHS page is, “maybe lose some timber pal.”

Critics might point out this is exactly the same set of goals I’ve had for several years but I’m feeling pretty motivated at the minute. Trying a new reward scheme to try and embed those good habits - the more I look after myself the faster I’ll get enough points to buy a new nonsense guitar pedal. Worth a go.

1 Like

One thing I find helpful on these winter morning is setting an alarm well before I need to be up, so I can still take my sweet time to psych myself out of bed.

Eg if I want to be out at 7am I set an alarm for 6:20 rather than 6:45, cos if I do the latter I’ll still lie around for 20/30 minutes but then my brain will go “well, too late now”.

(Obvious caveat that I don’t have kids so wouldn’t presume to know how parents’ mornings go)

1 Like

My missus does this. I’m the opposite, would prefer to just hit the alarm and get up

1 Like

Same for me. That way I’m already 2k into a run by the time my brain figures out what I’m doing!

1 Like

I set mine early too, and have a banana and one of my son’s Soreens sat next to the bed so I can eat that before I head out. Drives my partner mad though, so will sometimes sleep in the spare room if I’m planning on getting up early.

I’ve been in a weird work limbo since last April - essentially working a really drawn out notice period (and therefore doing nothing) so have been able to go to the gym whenever I felt like it. Will be starting work again soon though so will need used to early starts again.

I was up and out just after 7 today for an hours walk. I feel a lot better for it, rather than continuously delaying getting up.
Planning on a morning gym tomorrow, instead of the evening which eats into my spare time.
Once I get my fitness up a little I’m planning on going for a a run. My house mate runs a few times a week, doing 12k per time, and the occasional half marathon. I doubt I’d get up to that as I’m an awkward runner, but It’s something I want to aim towards.

1 Like

Fell out of my running routine after moving home in October. Then before I knew it the Christmas hols arrived and I got slammed with Covid. Recovered now so plan is to get back onto the running game. Really not looking forward to having to build up my stamina again - it’s by far the most unpleasant part of the whole process. Hope to get to the point again by end Feb where I can do 5K without stopping and then see where I can take it after. I’m hopelessly weak after stopping going to the gym pre pandemic but its not looking likely that i’ll be restarting that now which is a shame but can’t be helped now i don’t live near one. Oh well.

Been quite inconsistent in 2022, FitOn did a Spotify style wrapped EOY thingy and iirc I’d only done about 55 workouts on the app but I’ve got back into it recently and am currently on a 6 week streak of at least 2 workouts pw (most of the FO workouts I currently do are between 15-25 minutes)

Goals -
150 FitOn workouts (mostly pilates but some kickboxing, stretching and weights too)
5x 40 minute indoor cycles weekly
Try to leave the house every Sat and Sun
Get another leaving the house streak going and beat last years
More long walks

By the end of the year I want to be able to do a proper sit up without my feet coming up off the ground and a handstand. And also be able to lift my 5kg weights :laughing:

:muscle:

1 Like

i set my phone alarm, then put it in the kitchen overnight, next to the coffee pot.

strongest chance of me getting up and staying up

My running last year was all over the place. The 3 months I was unemployed that’s all I did between applying for jobs, but I’ve fallen off the wagon a bit and it’s been 1 a month with my run club for the last few months.

Gonna try and do 3 a week again, even if it’s not always 5k for each, I’ll settle for 3.5k.

1 Like

2022 was a bit of a write-off for me.

I’m someone who has to enter an event to give myself a target and motivation, even though I really enjoy running, cycling and swimming. I usually aim for two half marathons and two triathlons outside of the hockey season.

I was just getting back into a good routine with my running when I got Covid in March. Then I had a summer of weekends away and weddings (largely rollovers from 2020 and 2021), and this meant that I didn’t get out on my bike at all, and didn’t do any swimming, for the first time in about 5-6 years.

I did the Ealing Half in September, and made it around in the slowest time I’ve ever done, and then got Covid again, followed by a chest infection.

Heading into Christmas I still had the 10 mile race in the calendar. It was going to be a slow run, but I could have made it around. And then I tweaked my back and got a trapped nerve in my neck. So it didn’t turn up for a race I’d entered for the very first time.

That left me feeling pretty down about myself over New Year, especially as a lot of the problems with my back stem from not being able to exercise properly across the year.

So as with every year, I’m pretty much starting from scratch, and will aim to build up slowly and start to incorporate pilates/exercises into my routine.

I think for 2023 I’m going to aim for the Hackney Half, the Ealing Half, Dunwich Dynamo and a triathlon somewhere. I don’t really care about my weight or shape, but being able to complete those events, gain some flexibility and lose some aches have always been the main targets for me.

3 Likes

My post in last year’s thread is very similar…

I think this might be true for me now I have a toddler - otherwise I have too many excuses not to exercise!

1 Like

I’d like to get more flexible, probably just need regular stretching but maybe start yoga too?

Would like to get back to doing regular pushups too, partly just to get stronger but also to get back to being able to do pull-ups - was fun that year when I could actually do a few hah

Probably about it, basic but if I can make them stick then They’ll be good habits for years

DiS Tour de IoW?

1 Like

Haven’t entered Hackney yet as I was really annoyed at how oversold and cramped it was last year, but fully expect I’ll fold and sign up. Fingers crossed things fall into place for you this year.