Fitness and exercise thread 2023

8-a-side yesterday: Scored 3 (three) goals yesterday, and set another up, but kicked someone’s foot and my big toe’s all bruised now, which is rubbish.

WENT TO THE FUCKING GYM. I find it so scary. I will continue to find it scary even though people are perfectly friendly, but I’m going to try and make a proper effort of going more often, I think…

Just doing really tiny weights at the moment - did like 10kg on the bench press and bent-over row, but it’s better than nothing, right?

Really feeling it in [the muscle just in front of my armpit, whatever that is]

2 Likes

Well done.

but thanks, it’s genuinely one of the most intimidating places I’ve been to - I’m quite happy going into most social/sport environments and just… getting on with it, but gyms just seem quite like SRS stuff.

1 Like

March summary:
22 visits to the gym (quite possibly a personal record, this)

January: 15
February: 18
March: 22
Year to date: 55 (target for the year is 150)

Feeling good, want to keep pushing it in the build-up to summer.

3 Likes

big fan of a hex/trap bar deadlift! I’ve tried all of the squat/deadlift variations and machines under the sun and this is the only one that actually “feels” right because it seems to put the weight more on your legs and less on your lower back. think I’m just not the right size/shape for the machines in particular

1 Like

lots of good tips here.

the only thing I would add is that I think you’re on to something with your idea of doing higher reps, even if only for a little while or every other week. if nothing else, it’s nice to have a bit of variety and you can’t sustainably try to beat your one rep max every single time you’re in the gym - you’ll just get knackered and demotivated. to keep that glorious feeling of beating your previous best, you could pick a higher rep range (say 10-15 reps) and then set your weight record for that number of reps. then next week you try to do a slightly heavier weight for the same number of reps. that way you still get the feeling of getting stronger and improving, but your sole metric isn’t “what’s the absolute heaviest weight I can lift once or twice”.

be warned - if you do 15 reps of deadlift at an appropriate weight you will be sore (in a good way).

5 Likes

Started doing yoga again

I love this thread :revolving_hearts::two_hearts:

7 Likes

That’s impressive.

I’m slipping a bit as started a new job so not working from home quite so often.
Going to try for 150 too, but think it’ll be a struggle.

1 Like

45 a quarter into the year is well on-track though

1 Like

True. Just need to buck the trend.

:chart_with_downwards_trend:

What app is this? Feel like I’ve asked questions about apps about 3 times and ignored the answers every time…

1 Like

The Gym (the chain of gyms helpfully just called The Gym, meaning every time it’s referred to it has to be followed up by an explanation like this).

It logs your visits cos you need to enter your PIN to get in and out.

2 Likes

I use an app called ‘Strong’ to record weights training.

2 Likes

week 13

:white_check_mark: 2hr walk over and round the river with friend
:white_check_mark: 5 cycles
:white_check_mark: 7 FitOn workouts - inc 1 stretch
:white_check_mark: Left the house on Saturday and Sunday

Haven’t walked round the boring park for ages. Need to try to get up earlier and go get some air first thing.

2 Likes

Played 11-a-side football yesterday, mostly hung out at centre back telling people what to do. Kept a clean sheet. Solid apart from when I almost shanked a clearance into our own goal

2 Likes

Had a bit of a break from doing exercise, but back on track now.
Went swimming earlier. My arms hurt. Played football yesterday. My feet hurt.

Current stats:

Football games played: 38 (target = 100)
Results: W 18 D 4 L 16
Goals scored: 33

Swimming distance: 35.2k (target = 135k)

2 Likes

Games: 20
Goals: 50

Tonight’s game was mildly ruined by someone taking a Friday night kick around far too seriously.

1 Like

week 14

:x: 4 cycles but I’m happy with that as it was a 4 day week and I am trying to be motivated but not too rigid with my goals
:white_check_mark: 4 FitOn workouts - inc 1 stretch
:white_check_mark: 16km+ walk to CM pub and back
:white_check_mark: Left the house every day of the BH weekend + still on leaving house streak

Tomorrow morning is going to be sunny and I am determined to get up and go for a walk before work

2 Likes

Have managed to stick with the cycling for 3 months now since I started again. Think it’s going fine, have done some sort of ride, even if only 20 minutes, pretty much 6 days a week.

Have family visiting for Easter this week though so it’s inevitably gone out of the window and doesn’t yet feel ingrained as a habit for starting back up to be automatic. Need to come to this thread for inspiration l

1 Like