Fitness and exercise thread 2024

I went running. It took a month or so to build up to it, but I reached a point where I was running every morning.

I then added a twice-weekly swim as soon as the reservoir reopened.

Are you staying in hotels? They often have gyms these days, although not necessarily classes.

1 Like

Damn, that’s impressive.

1 Like

This, but only 9 rounds.

1 Like

Also running. Got up to 6k, every weekday morning. Hated it though and stopped as soon as the swimming pool reopened.

1 Like

Trying to figure this out omg. Staying in various people’s houses in the lake district, Glasgow, Brixton, crystal palace, Rotterdam…

A hotel in Sheffield, a hotel in Coventry, hotels in Italy,

University accomodation that might have a basic gym in Bangladesh

Think running is probably a good bet but maybe not in Bangladesh

Have a piercing that’s healing rn so can’t go swimming except in clean sea water

As above, but used to do sprint intervals as well.

You could also do isometric exercise. I would, but can’t due to a crippling inability to avoid Simpsons references I got while in a POW camp for three years, forced to subsist on a thin stew made of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the states but they just can’t get the spices right.

1 Like

I think I’ll maybe get some class pass credits or something, and look up nice parks in all these places.

Dunno where you’re staying but there’s a PureGym fairly central in Sheffield so might be worth updating your membership to use that

Yeah I have the cheapo one that doesn’t let you switch :frowning:

If you’re travelling, resistance bands could be a good thing to take with you as they don’t take up much space and there’s so much you can do with them. I’ve got a travel yoga mat that’s lighter and thinner than my proper one and folds up easily, that’s an option too especially as hotel carpets might not always be that nice to exercise on.

Other than that I got a set of kettlebells and a spin bike during lockdown but that’s less useful to you if you’re living out of a suitcase

1 Like

Found that I was fucking my knees up even with short, steady bursts of running (as part of the circuit training). So I’ve found that I can set the treadmill to “brisk uphill walk” and it counts as the same amount of energy expended :+1: :muscle:

4 Likes

Climbed nearly 200m this morning across four bursts, apparently!

1 Like

Bought a couch—>5k equivalent for weightlifting. Think it’s even called couch—>barbell. Time for swole boy summer

(I want to improve my core strength as I have a structure of a marshmallow flump atm)

1 Like

I need to follow this as the last time I went from 5km to 10km really quickly without issue, then got injured after going up to 12km. But I’m struggling to see how it works at the beginning. Like I ran 5km a couple of days ago, but nothing for a couple of weeks before that. Can I / should I run again this week? What should I do next week? If I run twice then I’ve increased by 100% although pretty sure it would be no issue. Is the 10% rule only for when you are pushing into new territory / recovering from a long lay off? (this sounds like I am grilling you, not my intention)

I would start the second run off at a shorter distance than the first, and then build up its distance until you get to where you want to be.

Most training plans suggest that you should be aiming to run 2-3 times a week, and they will also have each of those runs at a different distance and/or intensity.

1 Like

Cheers. Might just make a fresh start next week and go with this:

Except maybe adapt it to fit in my weights:

Mon: Rest
Tue: Run (short) + Weights (legs)
Wed: Rest
Thu: Run (medium) + Weights (push)
Fri: Rest
Sat: Weights (pull)
Sun: Run (long)

If you’ve only run a single 5k in a week, then going straight to running 14k cumulatively in a week is a big step up. I’d dial that back a lot.

First week is 9km total (oh it’s because it says miles on that chart weirdly)

Ah now I get it, miles is correct. I will just change that to km

Ran again tonight. Back down to a 3 x 8m + 2m day, which theoretically we’ve knocked out 3 of already, and went further on Wednesday, but good lord the heat nearly killed me. I was so close to stopping with a couple of minutes to go as I was just dryyyyy.