Flies

keep finding wasps in my room, but only one at any given time. can’t be the same one either as when they take too long finding their way out of the window i open for them i get impatient and swat the fucker. where are they coming from and why are they operating a one in one out system

maybe they keep sending one ahead to scout the place out before the rest of the lads pile in?

1 Like

so you’re saying i need to skewer the bodies on cocktail sticks and leave them in the window as a warning, got you

1 Like

1 Like

That’s a bummer. Coming to the end of the season now though isn’t it?

Can you get fly paper these days? It’s a bit unsightly though

Not if you build your decor around them. Think of them as go faster stripes, or pest chevrons.

2 Likes

Yeah, apparently they’re out getting insects to feed to the grubs back in the nest which break down the skeletons into sugars which the adult wasps eat. Soon there’ll be no grubs and that’s when the wasps go out and get into the fallen fruit for a more direct sugar fix.

1 Like

umm, can we stop killing things please

Two tips

Boiling water into a bin will kill maggots.

A small dish with vinegar and a small drop of dish soap absolutely fucks fruit flies. Caught near 100 in three days.

1 Like

I let things live / shoo them out if they’re just buzzing around harmlessly but if a fly tries to get on my food or is in my bedroom at night then it is quickly destroyed

Extra annoying these days, as the cat loves to hunt them - by which I mean she flings herself around the flat with no regard for herself or anything in her way. She’s rarely fast enough to catch them, but she has broken a number of plants this way.

She did catch one once, the buzzing got very very intense, there was a big crunchy sound, and then a satisfied looking cat.

You’re welcome to have ALL the flies round to your gaff if you like?!

Flies ARE important as they decompose things and also pollinate some plants.

Still whack them with a slipper if they’re buzzing round the room

I’ve got an insect net on one window. Just some netting held in place by sticky Velcro stuff.

@the_ravens @escutcheon Does it need to be a specific kind of vinegar?

Saw a programme on the telly the other day where there were a load of people somewhere in Africa going out in the middle of swarm of flies. Then they scooped them out of the air with cooking pans, mashed them up and made them into burgers, which are apparently very high in protein.

Yum.

I don’t know, I’ve got a big box of cider vinegar so I just use that. I’d guess it would work with any, though they say you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, I’ve never tried it

1 Like

I tried this the other day but sans soap. Fuckers must’ve been having a party

1 Like