Floating Points

Yeah true, just have found Uncut’s jazz/electronic reviews pretty bang on generally. I’ll give it a listen anyway.

1 Like

More hype :sunglasses:

This may not only be Shepherd’s magnum opus, but one of Sanders’ greatest works as well.

1 Like

Really? Never thought to go to them for that sort of thing. Although they did introduce me to Burial…

Resident Advisor review concludes “this may not only be Shepherd’s magnum opus, but one of Sanders’ greatest works as well”

RA’s review concludes: “It makes The Creator Has a Master Plan sound like utter shit in comparison”.

This is out tomorrow, right?

Yep

1 Like

Not sure Uncut is the “go to” source for this sort of stuff. Perhaps if Neil Young plucked a few strings over the top they might have appreciated it more?

3 Likes

Exceptionally unfair, that. I’ve subscribed for years and they’re supportive and knowledgable of electronic/jazz/folk stuff once you get beyond the cover features, and have an extensive reviews section that’s like a more digestible version of what The Wire might do. I know it’s fun to shit on mags like that but, like Q and Mojo were, they’re much more than just Bowie and Neil Young cover stories.

Fair enough, sorry (I was only being cheeky), I subscribed for around ten years back in the day and while the reviews section was great, I got fed up with the rotation of cover stories (how many times do you want to read about Bowie and Neil Young)? I would certainly rather read Uncut than The Wire.

My go to for electronica is this thread and Electronic Sound.

Good one on continuing to support print magazines, they still have a place, and Uncut has done really well to last the distance.

Yeah apologies, wasn’t meant to be snappy in return - just quite passionate about print, music mags nowadays are constantly teetering on the brink of collapse and if people dug into them they’d realise it goes a lot deeper than the stuff they have to put on the cover to sell issues. I find the reviews in particular very trustworthy which was why I was surprised they were lukewarm on this record.

It’s the only print mag left I can think of where I’d be able to read deep dives into Kraftwerk, Neu, New Order, etc in the same breath as stuff on Shabakah Hutchins, Forest Swords, Sarah Davachi, etc.

1 Like

No worries, you made a good point and my “data” was a bit out of date! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve got quite a lot of time for Uncut reviews in the breadth of stuff they give a brief description of. The scoring is arbitrary because it’s such a small range they use (latest issue had 4 x 9/10, 3 x 5/10, and the other 62 albums were between 6 and 8). But they are reviewing things that I’m not seeing much coverage of elsewhere that I have investigated and liked - Misc, the City Champs, Neil Cowley, Jakob Bro all jazz(ish) stuff reviewed in their latest issue that I don’t see getting reviewed many other places that also review stuff like Valerie June and Clark.

2 Likes

Oh man this is beautiful :sob:

11 Likes

Breathtaking innit. It’s got me absolutely floating this morning.

4 Likes

absolutely fantastic stuff

Extraordinary. Don’t want it to finish.

2 Likes

picking up my copy tomorrow, must resist the urge… properly excited now.

Me too, but I ended up caving in this morning after all of the comments on here. You are in for a treat!

It’s pretty amazing how Sam Shepherd can flip from making some absolute bangers to something like this.

3 Likes

I’ve listened to this four times today (so far). It’s stunning.

5 Likes