Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk

Fantastic track, loved it when they played it at the MTV Europe Awards in Edinburgh

3 Likes

RIP. Love this version of Computer Love (the whole ‘Mix’ thing is amazing).

2 Likes

Pretty much the only things that can be said about Kraftwerk is to talk about their music, maybe their love of cycling. I really loved the fact they were so secretive, no one really knows anything about their personal lives which is how it should be. And Florian it seems carried that on in death, apparently he died a week ago and has already been buried. I wish more bands were like this.

Christ just listening to the original album mix of Computer Love again; woozy, wistful but optimistic and heartfelt, it pretty much invented everything electronic that was great this past few decades.

4 Likes

My favourite story is the one about the phone in their studio having the ringer removed. If you wanted to speak to them on the telephone you had to arrange it in advance and call at a precisely pre-agreed time so that they would pick the phone up.

The only regret I have about Kraftwerk is that they didn’t release more music. I have a (sadly unrealistic) dream that there is a vault of unrecorded material at Kling Klang similar to the one at Paisley Park.

5 Likes

hahah yeah that’s a great story. There must be loads of stuff unreleased but I get the feeling Ralf is very hot on quality control. I wonder if we will ever hear anything new or unreleased? I doubt it to be honest.

1 Like

Kratfwerk’s Exceller 8 was one of the first of my parents’ vinyls I can remember. Compilation album with mostly edited tracks. Loved the cover image. Autobahn was an immediate hit with young me, but I became obsessed with this track, playing it over and over. Even took it into school to play in a music lesson to lots of bemused looks.

3 Likes

I remember hearing this for the first time while absolutely demented on ecstasy. One of the best moments of my musical life.

I knew ‘Autobahn’ but had never listened past the title track so when ‘Kometenmelodie 2’ came on afterwards I lost it. Started crying with joy. Every time I listen to it I’m brought back to that moment.

4 Likes

They did a big reissue programme a few years ago and didn’t include any unreleased stuff so it seems unlikely.

1 Like

Still vexes me that they changed the artwork. Never bought any of the LPs as a result.

2 Likes

Just as I was thinking and writing about the enduring influence of Kraftwerk this track came up on the stereo by pure chance (samples It’s More Fun to Compute):

They are everywhere, in so much interesting and progressive music.

2 Likes

The new artwork is nice though (but I have a sentimental attachment to the original versions). I’m such a sad loser that I already had both the English and German versions of all those albums so I managed to resist buying them for a third time.

1 Like

It’s nice but I grew up with the original artwork, have everything on CD. Must ask my record man to start holding on to some original copies for me.

2 Likes

Love the fact that you have a ‘record man’. I must get one.

5 Likes

Does your record man have a burner phone?! I need to get myself a record man as well I reckon!

2 Likes

So sad.

Was into to them when i was younger then went off ‘electronic’ music for a bit as a silly teen. Funnily enough it was when i came across the Big Black cover of The Model which made me go back again and fully fall in love.

Can’t say anything which hasn’t already been said but what a legacy. Mindblowing.

1 Like

I hope I have one after the pandemic, I can’t live without record deliveries by bicycle courier!

He does not! I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to him on a phone actually.

1 Like

hopefully just fax machine. That would be very Kraftwerk authentic :grinning:

1 Like

This footage is terrific.

“Next year Kraftwerk hope to eliminate the keyboards altogether, and build jackets with electronic lapels which can be played by touch.”

7 Likes