Florida shooting

this is complete fucking madness

2 Likes

It’s the equivalent of reception (pre K) up to year 9 (8th grade), some schools are Kindergarten all the way to 12! My school is right on the edge of the city, it’s practically a suburb in terms of appearances. It’s a very low crime neighbourhood compared to the rest of the city.

1 Like

I assume that they must be bullet proof? I had conversation with a colleague about them, he suggested they were to shade from the sun, which seems logical, but they are only on the ground floor and on the north facing side as well as the south, so I dunno tbf. Some of the window open, but as you’d expect in a class room there’s all sorts of stuff in front of them, plants, books, soft toys etc. Can’t imagine having to shepherd 26 of them out through one, absolute cat herding exercise at the best of times.

Cheers, didn’t want to misunderstand what you were saying about it. It’s in equal parts shocking and unsurprising in think, given much of what’s been happening over your side of the Atlantic :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry for rambling, I’m juggling a baby and watching awful people debating it all.

There are no repercussions for doing this kind of thing. None.

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/964187511017869316

2 Likes

How does one dress as a communist?

1 Like

You wear a shirt with the ‘Communist Party’ meme on it, which makes roughly 1 in 5 people I met at uni a communist.

There was a This American Life a few weeks back about a Republican who tried to ban these indistinguishable replica guns from being taken into school on the basis that any law enforcement wouldn’t be able to tell they were fake in the time they would have to make a decision to fire themselves. (I mean the whole ‘why these fake guns exist’ thing is separate).

Anyway, they talked to people who understood the law but still didn’t want it enacted and about all I can take away from this is that gun law has been (sorry for the accidental pun) ‘weaponised’ to the point where it’s effectively this parallel for all freedom of expression, the literal notion that as soon as you let the government take this right away they absolutely will remove your other rights. I mean it’s so crazy it’s too big to really comprehend…but this seems to be the root of this disconnect. :frowning:

2 Likes

I honestly think guns, the 2nd amendment and the founding fathers are a religion type deal now. It’s gone beyond politics.

2 Likes

I think the thing is as well that even if you saw something come up that did strongly restrict gun ownership, the first time some violent event happened then it would be broken wide open again with people claiming they’d have stopped it if people still had the right to own guns.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GOP/status/964252407101353984

I’m trying to think of a smaller gesture they could have made, and failing.

I heard that. It did blow my mind there were a few folk on there who thought fake guns were leading to accidental death from real guns, but real guns weren’t?!

2 Likes

So the NRA line is to arm teachers?

So teachers can’t administer corporal punishment but can shoot a kid?

Giving teachers guns would be a disaster, especially in high schools. Maybe my school wasn’t completely representative of all schools, but some teachers barely managed to cope. There’s absolutely no way that introducing firearms into a highly pressurised environment would be a positive thing.

7 Likes

What an insane line of argument… The way to protect kids from kids with guns is to put them in a room with a gun?!

So depressing that policies can have so much public and expert support but feel like such a pipe dream.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/963920925480574976

Also cops are trigger happy and once they got to the scene I doubt they’d distinguish between people acting in self defense and the actual school shooters, they’d probably dust everyone who had something like a gun in their hands.

Love that Republicans best argument on how to deal with school shootings is to turn them into free fire zones. They won’t pay for new printer ink or pens but they’ll happily give Iris the semi-retired English sub a Glock.

3 Likes

*Although most school shooters are white so I’m thinking they might have a chance of being able to surrender peacefully.

Fuck knows why they even had her on. What next, inviting Ann Coulter on repeatedly? Oh wait…