Florida shooting

The kids are all apparently paid actors because one of them was on the news once three years ago when his friend was bullied at a beach by a lifeguard, and because a couple of brunette girls look vaguely alike.

Find it really frustrating that proper steps aren’t being taken to sort this sort of thing out and that we can’t even have common sense discourse about it. The “but, but…freedom of speech” stuff is fucking bollocks, especially when victims of crimes are being discredited to the point of being personally harrassed for political ends. The vast majority of people consume news this way. It absolutely has to be regulated properly.

1 Like

very hard to regulate though, you have cesspools like this since the internet began; the pool has gotten bigger with twitter/reddit. reddit tried regulating the donald trump subreddit and that didn’t go very well, and now they just seem to have left it alone. twitter can’t even seem to deal with outright hate crime, never mind conspiracy theorying.
i agree something needs to be done, by the way, but it’s a very bleak situation in terms of how strongly people are led by this shit.

v. bleak read https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/13/16624688/reddit-bans-incels-the-donald-controversy

The amount of conspiracy theory talk and ‘false flag’ bollocks seems to have gone down of late possibly because tinfoilers don’t believe The Donald would be involved in such things. I think the whole Podesta/Pizzagate caper was really some kind of peak for it all. Could be wrong mind.

Think it’s just a middle-fo-the-cycle lull tbh. It’ll pick up against once an election or the midterms are on the horizon. The right wing have learned that it’s essential to feed their base crazy bullshit to keep them in a permanently terrifying Lala Land so that they’ll vote for stuff completely against their interest. They couldn’t put the lid on that box now even if they wanted to, the self-styled moderate Republicans are all starting to learn that.

Dinesh D’Souza is always so eager to prove that he is a terrible human being.

I enjoyed a tweet that pointed out those kids will be able to vote in 2020, whereas convicted felon D’Souza will not. :smiley:

18 Likes

yeah he had a bunch of tweets mocking them. like, imagine actually believing you were on the right side while you are mocking survivors of a school shooting, fucking mental.

good response from one of them:

https://twitter.com/sarahchad_/status/966121737590108160

2 Likes

qanon

sort of a blindingly obvious response, but that’s where we are, i guess. explaining to people that seeing your friends shot is traumatic.

But the second amendment!!!

1 Like

Guns for teachers receiving presidential backing then. I’m not quite sure how anyone sensible can possibly attempt to make their voice actually heard on this issue, ever.

3 Likes

This is a pretty fucked up reply to that:

https://twitter.com/toocoldinstpaul/status/966125079196327937

because three of those sponsors responded to say they declined to be involved and were used anyway.

Good news everyone

1 Like

From a bit of reading it seems that about 6% of teachers in america are attacked by a student each year. It won’t take long for this to go horrifically wrong. Sure it won’t be the guns fault when it does though

Hahaha of fucking course he said that

The video of the dad of one of the victims addressing Trump and the media’s one of the most emotive things i’ve watched. It’s the first time i’ve heard or read the opinion of someone directly effected where they’ve said for them the issue isn’t gun control. I’d personally consider safety in schools and gun laws to be one issue, but this guy seems quite reasonsble, is calling for cross-party resolutions, but thinks differently.

Sort of made me question what steps can be taken now to make kids in schools safer if they’re not going to just turn around and ban guns and even stuff like tightening checks and stopping the sale of automatic weapons will meet huge opposition and take years to push through.

Was thinking tho… What use would banning guns even be now? There must be like twenty guns for every American by this point.

1 Like