Flu Jab

Me too. I’ve never seen people speak about it so passionately outside of these DiS walls.

1 Like

Clearly not. I am talking about the people for whom 7quid (a round of toast or two?) isn’t going to render them homeless.
It’s also an investment, as proper flu can keep you off work for 2 weeks. SO if people are in jobs which only pay SSP, then they will soon be out of pocket.

I’ve never come across anybody irl that doesn’t have a flu jab.

Guys i’m not the only person on this forum who spends money on things. People here buy shit every single day.

2 Likes

Given that we have this thread pretty much every year, there’s not really any excuse for someone posting on this board on a regular basis to claim ignorance as a defense.

And the point at which that post was made in this thread was after several people had patiently explained things, and offered links and information, only for it to be dismissed.

1 Like

I just have.

that was NOT a dig at you, it was a joke! Plenty of people on here spend money on things that cost about the same as a flu jab that they could do without on one occasion per year.

I had no idea that this wasn’t just a thing old people had. Thanks for opening my eyes.

But other people have also provided links to the NHS where it doesn’t say “stop being a selfish cunt and get a flu jab you prick”

4 Likes

Boots and superdrug are pushing the campaign pretty hard tbf.

1 Like

I don’t know what to believe anymore. Stepping away from social media for a while.

2 Likes

Maybe people who read this board don’t read every thread? Maybe they don’t read the whole thread. Maybe they don’t remember everything they read?

I wouldn’t use the c word, but the rest is pretty accurate. If you can spare 7 quid and have even an ounce of compassion, why wouldn’t you to save somebody more vulnerable than you?

I think why I am irked is that it’s the assumption that everyone gets flu jabs when the vast majority of people definitely don’t. No one has ever before this moment in time said that I should get a flu jab because I may cross the path of an old lady who didn’t get a flu jab and I was one day before showing symptoms of having the flu.

It’s confusing from a non-DiS point of view ANYWAY with the NHS/Boots whatever…but also people have acted like total pricks and acting like a total prick isn’t going to make me go “hmm ok better listen to them!”

1 Like

Or maybe people don’t really take medical advice from a sub forum on a music board.

I have never seen a flu jab thread on here before.

It has also never ever crossed my mind to get one.

And after this thread I still won’t be.

1 Like

Would you take advice from the NHS on where to start with Pavement?

7 Likes

That’s fine! Then the NHS need to advise people to do that. But they don’t.

I thought slicky meant that the nasal vaccine is stabilised with porcine gelatin so hasn’t been providing consent for her kids to receive?

The gelatin issue seems a bit of a grey area as there are statements from rabbis saying they consider it fine as they consider the gelatin to be a ‘non-oral product’ and the WHO released a statement from Muslim scholars saying they consider it a ‘transformed’ product so okay, but the Muslim Council say it ‘may’ be forbidden but sat on the fence. The Vegetarian Society recognise the importance of gelatin in some meds and seem to leave it there as personal choice. I guess that’s what they’re all saying to varying degrees?

In terms of coverage, the vaccine programme has actually increased pretty steadily over the last few years. 2-4y were only added to the eligibility criteria a few years back, then primary school kids a couple of years after that and last year BMI 40+ was included as a risk factor for the first time. Flu season and hitting the DH uptake targets for each risk group is a massive slog each year – and has been getting increasingly more so recently (scaling back of the national flu campaign, milder winters, bad publicity following the vaccines targeting the wrong strains and the fact that the older generation who would turn up faithfully year in year out are dying out and being replaced by those who are less responsive to these programmes).

We’ve got 17,000 patients and if we had to try and get all of them through a national vaccination programme each year, there’s no way we could adequately target those with a significant risk factor. The pro-active patients will just come in and get the vaccine in the next few weeks and then from mid-October to end of January it will be a lot of hard work to chase and follow up the rest. Even with that we’re unlikely to hit some of the national targets.

3 Likes

How about the guidance from the CDC?

Sorry if that sounds snippy, but noone’s saying “take my word for it, I’m off the internet” - people have provided robust guidance/evidence and explained that the NHS’s policy is driven, at least in part, through economics.

1 Like