Fluke compilation albums that are coherent pieces of work

And work so well that they might as well be studio albums.

Hatful of Hollow
Sci-Fi Lullabies

What else?

Disco Inferno - 5 EPs

Had no idea there was a Fluke compilation out.

This one’s still a belter

Elliott Smith’s New Moon is the first thing that comes to mind.

There are some other B-Side albums that are perfect and better than many of their band’s full lengths (The Smashing Pumpkins’ Pisces Iscariot, Modest Mouse’s Building Nothing out of Something, Alkaline Trio’s self-titled), but I’m not sure if those count for this thread since the artist sequenced them.

Beta Band - The Three EPs

Mogwai - Ten Rapid. though i think they re-recorded some of the tracks specially for that purpose

Both disks of Dark Was The Night, especially disk 1.

The Masterplan
Bona Drag
Pulp Intro

My favourite long play release of theirs.

Hell yes…

Modest Mouse - Building Nothing Out of Something

If that one’s allowed (fwiw, I think it’s one of the greatest albums ever) then I’m predictably going to officially throw Pisces Iscariot into the mix. I honestly might prefer it to any proper full length by any other band.

If soundtracks count then there’s a bunch of those;
Natural Born Killers, American Graffiti, Saturday Night Fever, The Harder They Come, Apocalypse Now, Reservoir Dogs, Pretty In Pink, The Blues Brothers…

Soundtracks where the music is all made specifically for the given film are different but ones that are random tracks pretty much slung together because they are in the movie, count in the same way a B side comp does i guess. Somehow there’s an unintended consistency of mood.

Why wouldn’t it be??

I thought the thread was more so for albums assembled by someone else other than the artist - like if the label or someone accidentally created a great album by assembling their songs. I probably read too much into it.

Nah, just anything that’s a compilation.

The Chills - Kaleidoscope World

Don Caballero - Singles Breaking Up, other than the fact that you notice Ian Williams arrive halfway through the album

Dark Was The Night.

HOWEVER I’m not sure about the “fluke” bit as it felt fairly meticulously planned.

Basically I’ve just named a compilation album but alas, it’s so good it’s always worth a revisit.