Fluke compilation albums that are coherent pieces of work

I’d definitely pay that. I think it helps that it’s a compilation of material written across the period in which (controversy alert!) they produced their two best albums, and that the style or sonics of those two albums is more consistent with each other than with subsequent albums.

Basic Channel - BCD
Mercury Rev - Lego My Ego
The Human Expression - Love At Psychedelic Velocity
The Pastels - Truckload Of Trouble
Charles Cohen - A Retrospective
Broadcast - Work And Non Work / The Future Crayon
Tropicália Ou Panis Et Circencis
(Smog) - Accumulation: None
The Vaselines - Enter The Vaselines
Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower

… are just a few I can think of right now

I’ve given up on trying to figure out what the best Pumpkins album is, but I can certainly understand why someone would pick Siamese Dream or Gish. I agree with you in that the divide in their sound comes after Siamese Dream, and not after Mellon Collie as most people seem to think. Before it was more psychedelic.

What’s interesting about Pisces to me is that while it’s a blend of those two eras, I don’t think a single song would have fit on either of those two albums - especially not Siamese Dream. Or maybe what those albums are is too fixed in my mind.

sci-fi lullabies disc 2 falls off badly but agreed. on disc 1.

also Ep +1 or whatever it’s called. might even be my 2nd favourite ‘album’ of theirs

Aye if you moved Stereodee to the end it’d sound like a studio album

This is now the Voldemort thread.

Ok, it’s not, but in related music, Singles ost could probably fit in this thread, right?

That compilation of the ‘freak folk’ thing Devandra Banhart put out was good - was the only tape I had in my car for a whole summer I think - Golden Apples or something?

Some of my fave picks

MBV - EPS 1998-1991
Verve - No Come Down
Moose - Sonny of Sam
Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot
Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Superchunk - Incidental Music + Tossing Seeds
Smudge - Tea, Toast and Turmoil

Decent Quietus article…

If we’re flaunting the rules in this way then Now 34

1. “Wannabe” Spice Girls 2:52
2. “Freedom” Robbie Williams 4:13
3. “Mysterious Girl” Peter Andre featuring Bubbler Ranx 3:21
4. “Good Enough” Dodgy 3:48
5. “The Day We Caught the Train” Ocean Colour Scene 3:08
6. “Theme from Mission: Impossible” Larry Mullen Jr. and Adam Clayton 3:27
7. “Born Slippy” Underworld 4:17
8. “There’s Nothing I Won’t Do” JX 4:27
9. “Ooh Aah… Just a Little Bit” Gina G 3:15
10. “Blurred” Pianoman 3:50
11. “Don’t Stop Movin’” Livin’ Joy 3:32
12. “Naked” Louise 3:31
13. “Return of the Mack” Mark Morrison 3:26
14. “California Love” 2Pac featuring Dr. Dre 4:00
15. “Groovin’” Pato Banton 3:41
16. “Jazz It Up” Reel 2 Real 3:25
17. “That Girl” Maxi Priest featuring Shaggy 3:52
18. “Macarena” Los del Mar 3:49
19. “Sunshine” Umboza 2:32
20. “Higher State of Consciousness” Wink 3:37
21. “Keep On Jumpin’” Todd Terry featuring Martha Wash and Jocelyn Brown 3:21
22. “Children” Robert Miles 4:01

Man alive, that tracklisting reminds me of some rubbish student nights I went to at university (£1 entry, £1 a drink, mind)…

Yeah, Golden Apples of the Sun - he put it together for Arthur magazine. It’s brilliant - I played it absolutely loads too. Introduced me to a stack of new stuff that I still love today (Espers and Josephine Foster in particular)

Stereolab - Switched On Vols. 1-3 (and ABC Music and Oscillons from the Anti-Sun I guess, but the Switched On comps are all amazing and feel like albums too, because they all focus on a specific era)

Yes, was an eye opener form me too back at the time.
It was a gateway to older folkheads that I learned to know in the years after (Joni Mitchell, Bridget St John, Sibylle Baier, Roy Harper, Judee Sill, Jackson C. Frank,…). But to be honest, only a few of the artists on that compilation I still regularly listen to. Newsom, Rose, Bunyan and Foster. All others I grew tired of or turned into a path I couldn’t relate to.

This just reminded me of B-Sides Seasides & Free Rides by Ocean Colour Scene.

Pretty sure listening to that now would depressing as hell, but at 14 I couldn’t imagine anything better (acoustic versions of The Circle and The Day We Caught The Train! a live version of Daytripper…! Featuring the Gallagher bros…!!!)

Always thought it stood up quite well as an acoustic-y album.

Pretty fair tbh. It was very much of it’s time I guess. Would still stand by Matt Valentine / MV&EE, Six Organs of Admittance, Vetiver, Scout Nibblet, White Magic, Espers and Anthony and the Johnsons, in addition to the artists you mention though. Not that bad a strike rate for a 17 year old comp…

Les Savy Fav - Inches
The Portable Galaxie 500

Not arguing that. All those I still respect too.
In that same regard, I loved this compilation as well back in those days: