Food from History

Also oysters were regarded as “peasant food” in Victorian times

2 Likes

The sandwich was invented by Baroness Pret whilst playing a lengthy game of Ludo

4 Likes

It was the Baroness in the larder with a butter knife

1 Like

didn’t some stuff used to be a different colour? must be some chat in there

Santa Claus used to wear green

please dont eat santa

There’s only one left because almost eaten to extinction.

6 Likes

I think “gin” used to refer to any kind of brutal English moonshine that people made in their cellars and stuff, and there was a real moral panic about it in the 18th Century due to a perceived mass addiction and kind of ongoing 24/7 public gin orgy on the streets of London. This led to tightening of the distilling laws which in turn led to riots and stuff.
Gin made with juniper as we know it today comes through the addition of quinine, drunk with tonic in the Empire as a treatment for malaria.

2 Likes

orange carrots only came around about 400 years ago - purple or white were the main colours before

SO THERE

1 Like

Love that Henry VIII is wearing Crocs!

6 Likes

are you sure you’re thinking of ketchup

I’m dreaaaaming
Of some fishy
Ketchup
Juuust like the one I used to know (in Rome)

1 Like

I am now

Henry VIII attends the opening of the first Nandos, 1531 (colourised)

3 Likes

Mad that until the 90s no chillies measured much more than 500k SHU (Spicy Hurt Units), but now some dickhead reckons he’s grown one with over 3 million SHUs

1 Like
5 Likes

wow I didn’t know this!

I’m strangely proud of everyone that the thread has lasted half an hour already without somebody posting that Doritos tweet again.

1 Like

I am thinking of ketchup. I got the vibe right but the time and place very wrong. Looks like it comes from 17th Century south east asia.
How Was Ketchup Invented?.