Food poisoning

There have been some pretty high profile cases of food poisoning caused by herbs or spices…but yeah, pretty much always meat or fish. I’d have thought it quite unlikely crackers would cause such serious symptoms.

Yeah, it was the fish. Also what is gross about those sandwiches?

2 Likes

Last time was in India, classic Delhi Belly, though thankfully only lasted a couple of days. Not sure what it was from, Mrs HYG never suffered, and the only time we ate anything different was when he had a “western” meal at a cafe, so it was probably that. Ended up shitting in a tea plantation on mountain hike. Very grim moment.

I’m always a bit worried about pink chicken. I got something at Wagamamas last year and the chicken was pink in the middle, I told them and they reckoned it was meant to be like that because of the marinade. Chinny reckon.

Also, had some chicken wings at Brew Dog Clerkenwell recently, the bones were all bright purple, which put me off greatly.

Unwashed vegetables and salad are also significant sources of E.coli food poisoning.

But yeah, it’s unlikely that it was cheese crackers.

This was a like for the last paragraph (not the food poisoning, obvs)

Costa Rica roughly a year ago. Ended up majorly dehydrated, shivering uncontrollably, and was put on a drip in the local clinic. Happy days.

Yep, same here. I had a stomach bug of some description when I was in Cyprus (about 15 years ago) but I think it was more to do with heat / general quality of the accommodation rather than anything specific I’d eaten.

yeah, this is proper food poisoning. puking a bit here and there is not food poisoning. shit knocks you out for days

Word, bird

do you think you have a cast iron stomach, or you’re just lucky?

the former for me.

on two family holidays to the philippines, both times my entire family got very ill with food poisoning and i was always fine both times. i’ve had a stomach bug once in my life but i don’t think it was food poisoning.

I think everyone should stop mansplaining to @anon44830896 about how she got food poisoning :mask:

2 Likes

Me too :hand_splayed: :eggplant:

1 Like

Maybe I’ve got a cast-iron stomach when it comes to dodgy food? Also I’ve not had that many holidays in tropical climates. But yeah, I’ve had general non-food-poisoning stomach bugs before.

People do know that food poisoning’s just a catch-all term for any illness caused by ingesting contaminated food or drink, right? Not sure i get the muscle-measuring above.

1 Like

It’s unlikely, I guess. Also depends on the cheese. In my head I’m just assuming ordinary supermarket cheddar, which I don’t think is noted for its ability to carry food poisoning, but a soft cheese can, yeah

Of course, even if it were just cheddar then depends on what you cut it with right? I’ve always been veggie but remember meat eating housemates banging on about how chopping boards and knives that had been near raw meat had to be really well cleaned etc.

(Assume any type of non pasteurised cheeses from markets could be a bit dodgy too.)

I would also assume it was from the seafood and not cheese and crackers.

I don’t think chicken is meant to be brown in the middle either

what about the brown meat, man?

@1101010 and @plasticniki - you just can’t stop yourselves can you!

N.B. I wasn’t being entirely serious.

went on a trip with work to India a couple of years ago, we all got food poisoning at a barbecue on the last night. Waiting to get through security at Jaipur airport while battling explosive diarrhoea was one of the worst experiences of my life. Then when I got home it just went on and on, woke up in a cold sweat every night for a fortnight, nothing would shift it. Completely horrible.