Food that is totally fine past its sell by date

Yeah, that’s why I ate it in the first place! Something must have gotten to it

1 Like

My late wife’s dad wouldn’t eat honey past it’s best before date. Honey, of all things: nature’s antiseptic, still edible after sitting for 3,000 years in an Egyptian pyramid.

“Ooooh no, December 2015 was three months ago.”

FFS…

8 Likes

Anyone ever actually ever got sick from eating out of date food? I had a friend who drank a quote out of date live yoghurt and got extreme food poisoning

Yeah I bought a 13p reduced tuna mayo sandwich at co-op a little while ago that was in the reduced section instead of the fridge and ate it late the next day and then promptly lost about half a stone.

2 Likes

Brb going to buy a tuna sandwich

1 Like

A while ago my mum had a jar of Marmite that was 10 years out of date (now sadly finished by me). Either they toned the recipe down for mass market appeal, or Marmite gets stronger as it matures, because this stuff was intense: far, far tastier than the fresh jar I had in my cupboard…

2 Likes

This site is quite useful. Tells you how long after the official date things remain edible.

1 Like

It was not a pleasant weight loss method, trust me.

None of them are

Good point. I aided my efforts today by buying over a kilo of broken biscuits and having a McDonald’s, two ice creams and a pasta salad that said ‘serves 6’ on the side.

2 Likes

:neutral_face:

But I didn’t have any booze or fizzy drinks and I didn’t eat anything after my tea so I’m still kind of sticking to my rules!

I’m normally quite sceptical when someone says they’ve got food poisoning because how do you know what caused the illness? It’s not necessarily the last thing you ate and may not even be from food.

However last year my bf had an upset stomach, and on that occasion i was prepared to accept that it probably was the 2 day out of date prawn cocktail he ate

it’s food innit, give it a look or a smell. stop wasting stuff.

Sometimes I think you can kind of taste the food that’s made you sick just before it does, like you can almost taste it in burps. Or is it just me?

Definitely not just you - that’s a red alert warning for me when I’m feeling grim.

that’s probably just whatever you’ve eaten recently though rather than necessarily the thing that made you sick (if it was even something you ate). food poisoning can take up to 2 weeks to appear depending on what it is, and apparently a lot of food poisoning is just norovirus, which can be caught from things other than food so it would be hard to know if you caught it from contaminated food or not.

1 Like

You’re correct that food poisoning can take a whilst to develop, but it can also be in 24-48 hours or less, it really depends on the microorganism load in the food to start with, the division time of said mo and how much toxin had already been produced and was present in the food. Whilst a lot of cases of v&d are unfairly attributed to food I think it’s a safe bet if you get ill a few hours after eating past it’s date prawns.

Also I’m loving this :microbe: oh wait the new version is crap

yeah with the out of date prawns i did think they were the likely culprit! however i have dealt with a lot of cases of people very insistent that they had caught [insert illness here] from [insert food item here] and as far as i’m aware in literally none of those cases was there anything to suggest the person was correct

That could be my cupboards.

There is a box of icing sugar that is at least 20 years old. No best before date to be found, sadly.

Wheatgerm:

Strong Brown Bread Flour:

Spanish Chocolate (for making hot chocolate milk):

All absolutely fine to consume, obviously.

4 Likes