Football Thread for the next 48 days (fun for all guaranteed)

@ynot I assume you’re choosing other for your non-London team?

Both

A few years ago I got the Chelsea Story as a Christmas present. Actually a pretty good read because there were many many years when the club weren’t hugely successful.

One fact that always stuck is that they are almost unique in not having much geographical connection with their fans. Most clubs draw support from the local area or town, but people living in Chelsea either have no tradition of going to football or if they do, identify with Fulham.
So unlike the other London clubs, that draw heavily on their local population, Chelsea tend to attract fans more based on how the team is doing, if there was a popular player etc.

A bit like Man United then.

2 Likes

Probably different now but when my dad was growing up his estate was apparently split pretty much 50/50 between Fulham and Chelsea, with the angry, violent psycho kids supporting Chelsea and the bedwetting indie dickheads supporting Fulham

Croydon’s not London etc lol

Great interview with Zlatan an Henry on SSN.

“Hey Pog(ba), come and sit between 2 great football players. You sit on the floor”

there always seemed to be loads of Chelsea fans were I grew up (Guildford) and the surrounding area. my dad only started supporting them because he moved to west london from spain as a teenager, and everyone I know from that part of the city (Wembley especially) supports Chelsea.

I support Chelsea thanks to my Dad and uncles. They grew up in Ireland in the late sixties reading about Osgood and the rest of that FA Cup winning Chelsea side and so when some of them moved to London in the seventies they started going to games.

Of course the team they had grown up supporting wasn’t there any longer and the club was going to shit but they kept supporting them. That’s how I ended up following the club during the '93/'94 season when they were on an FA Cup run where they got beated by United 4-0 in the final.

1 Like

yeah that’s the same era as my dad. I remember being kinda into Chelsea mid-to-late 90s when they were the likeable UEFA lads, but then Ambramovich ruined everything

thats at least 5 of us (including pervo) by my count. probably the most represented club on DiS, and you’d be forgiven for thinking that this is the Abu Dhabi City discussion boards.

If I supported Chelsea, I’d be too ashamed to mention in it in public as well tbf.

4 Likes

I still remember where I was when the Abramovich takeover got announced. We had just arrived in some holiday apartment in Portugal and it was all over the rolling news. My Dad just went “Well, that’s the fucking end of it then.” Hasn’t really supported them since.

I do wear this jersey out and when playing football to try and illustrate I supported them pre-Abramovich.

3 Likes

conversely, I try to look as much post-abramovich as possible:

two-club plastic flags - check
shop bag - check
official E-On club scarf - check

10 Likes

To be honest considering the size of the club I’m surprised there aren’t more Liverpool fans on here. And though Arsenal are leading the polls above we’ve only got Still_Here on the boards who is vocal in the football threads. Weird.

Well its been a long hockey season, so that accounts for the number of Liverpool fans.

2 Likes
  • Massive tory
  • Just a bloke enjoying the footie

0 voters

@still_here speaks for us all when it relates to Arsenal

Constant mass hysteria?

1 Like