Football Thread Spin-Off: First Football Heroes

No you’re absolutely right tbh and had I been a bit older I would have seen it that way I’m sure.

So with this in mind it has to be Sir Alan Shearer. The Lion of Gosforth. For the goals. For annoying Roy Keane. For choosing us over Manchester United.

In the wider world, bar the obvious Messi, Juan Mata seems like a top bloke.

1 Like

Met Zola once after an Argyle v Chelsea friendly. What a lovely tiny man.

2 Likes

He used was a coach (along with Gareth Southgate) at the youth team I used to play for. He gave me an award at the end of season awards at my club, I put the wrong hand out, and we had this awkward swapping of hands, before I got the trophy and promptly dropped it. Goalkeeper I was (not really I was a right back).

1 Like

remember seeing this goal live and thinking ‘SHIT. DID YOU SEE THAT?!’

1 Like

1 Like

Also went to Napoli v Cagliari during his last season as a player when he was at Cagliari and he got a standing ovation all around the ground when he went off.

2 Likes

the glorious few years in English football where they made foreign players do stereotypical things in front of the cameras.

Dwight Yorke (twat)
Raul (seems alright)

What a player. Quickest i’ve ever seen with the ball at his feet. Basicslly an inside-right forward, but sometimes played as an old-fashioned winger and would sweep these huge, deep, hanging crosses in from the flank. Spent a couple of seasons as a striker. Great first touch, natural finisher, scored all kinds of goals. Absolute travesty he was ever sold.

(Sorry for the shite music)

Yeah remember him being great. All the more remarkable given what we know now I guess.

Own team: Steve Mcmanaman. Flashy player, played for England back when that was cool, named like my name.

Other: Alessandro Del Piero. Flashy player, played for Juventus who just seemed like the coolest team on the planet when I was about 10, absolutely magnificent name.

1 Like