For people who wanted to see my Japan photos

Yep, thank you. That ones already on the list. I wanted to watch a sumo match but we’ll be there about two weeks too early!

I watched some of the championship final on tv when I was there. I had this idea that sumo was dignified, but it’s absolutely not. Loads of hair pulling and belly slapping, and I saw one guy pick the other up by his pants and basically wedgie him out of the ring.

Seems to be tons of art galleries, are there any imparticular that I shouldn’t miss?

Also any good vegetarian places would be useful.

The island of Naoshima- imagine the Tate Modern on a semi-tropical island.

Vegetarian was really easy. Esp in Kyoto where their local thing is tofu. I used the Happy Cow app and had no trouble. If I hadn’t been so broke I could have eaten at a different restaurant twice a day. All the convenience stores have vege stuff on their deli counters too. Convenience store food in Japan is actually nice. Be careful of the rice balls though. Sometimes they have tofu on the outside and meat in the middle.

Oh I’m only going to Tokyo, sorry, should have said.

Oh was gonna buy yer japan zine earlier but got distracted and didn’t checkout will do it now.

1 Like

I actually didn’t see many big museums in Tokyo, because I was laid out with the tail end of the flu for two days when I was there. I’d been working in Austria for 5 weeks teaching previously and picked up a bug off the kids, and not had enough down time before going to Japan to completely shake it.

My friend I was travelling with went to the Yayoi Kusama exhibition that was running and loved it.

Ah that’s horrible timing.

Oh cool, I saw one of her infinity mirrors in LA and loved it. Had a Google and the exhibition was only til may but looks like she’s opening her own musuem in Tokyo in October. So will try get tickets for that.

1 Like

Well I got the flight tickets for free, so I was restricted on when I could use them. It was either go back to back with Austria, or go in monsoon season. It also meant I had no time to save up money, so was on an extreme budget for a 3 week trip. We could have had a comfortable 1 week trip, but if you’re going to Japan, why not see as much as possible?

Oh yeah also, if you get the Tokyo equivalent of an oyster card, you can use the credit on it in other cities. I didn’t realise it was essentially the same card everywhere, because they have different branding in each city, and didn’t realise until the end of the trip.

:cry: