For the FAO of Aphextwinkletoes - '...I'm a renegade', your beloved Kate Tempest is doing a webchat on The Guardian right now

As I said in (I think) the Honey G thread, I think she’s totally sincere in what she’s doing and I don’t think there’s anything remotely problematic or anything about her act. I obviously dislike her music and find some of her lyrics cringey to the the point of unlistenable, which wouldn’t matter if she wasn’t constantly being pushed by the only radio station I listen to. Mainly, like most things on DiS, it’s a case of amplifying your opinion on someone/something to ludicrous levels for bants/beeves purposes.

1 Like

2 Likes

totes this!

All fair. I think her lyrics are vivid, which probably comes at a cost. They paint colourful pictures of people and the world around them in a very immediate way. I see how some of that can come across as cringey. I’d contrast it with, say, Aesop’s Skelethon which is going to be virtually inaccessible to a casual listener and require hours of pulling apart by the dedicated fan. I think there’s probably a trade-off between digestible story-telling (which Kate Tempest excels at) and lyrical nuance (in Aesop’s case he shifted a lot towards the KT approach on The Impossible Kid and it’s arguably his most enjoyable record). I love both extremes, but the TV is never going to sit through an Illmatic and get anything from it, whereas Kate Tempest (or, say, Marshal Mathers 2) is much more appealing.

Prefer The Tortoise and The Hare myself.

1 Like

Tap-in football gif

Renegade remix

5 Likes

all a bit too working class for me, clive

spluttering at my desk (banned act) here

Legitimately one of the most infuriating things ever

#JUST FUCKING SAY IT!

1 Like

Guardian. Another name for protector.
My shield, my sword, my song, now I’m wrecked, yeah?
Boys in blue coming round, yes inspector?
I saw you beating black boys is that fair, sir?
'Cause were all the same inside and I know that,
Down in New Cross it’s a new age from where I’m sat,
Outside of the pub with a fag and a wine glass,
Chatting with AphexTwinx and his fine lass,
Our voices drowned out by sirens as they flash past
All lights and rage and a steel cage going so fast
My head spins and I don’t know if it’s fear, or drink.
Two hours later and I’ll be broken, staring down a sink.
Throwing up bile with no style like these words. On a sink
Estate we wait, bide our time, we just scream and curse.
We need someone to stand up and look out for us,
Come up with ideas, make a stand, form a plan.
A hero for our times. A protector. A guardian.

10 Likes

Excellent

marshal mathers 2 is more appealing than illmatic? this doesn’t make sense to me at all.

maybe it’s just me, but for me, illmatic was … instantly obviously great. nothing like the obscurity aesop rock is clearly going for (though not I’ve listened to him a huge amount)

Fair bit of storytelling, pop culture references, easy to pick out the lyrics, not much ‘slang’ for lack of a better term. Purely empirical based on n-size of 1.

She has the most irritating voice known to mankind and “Circles” was an unmitigated piece of flaming turd.

1 Like

I find her popularity baffling, in the same way I do with someone like Banksy. But they’re both massively successful, while I’m here criticising them on a message board.

She says she had a “wayward youth”, living in squats, “hanging around on picket lines rapping at riot cops”

She says she had a “wayward youth”, living in squats, “hanging around on picket lines rapping at riot cops”

4 Likes

she is not ‘urban’
she is from Brockley
her dad is a criminal lawyer
she went to fucking BRIT school
the whole thing is just fucking painfully cringey and embarrassing

7 Likes

We all know BRIT School is non fee-paying right?

Also didn’t her Dad only become a criminal lawyer when she was a teenager? Think I read that he was a manual worker who did a load of nightschool stuff and become a criminal lawyer.

Also criminal law isn’t really where the money is.

1 Like