Foreign currencies: coins and notes

do you save any lil coins you have leftover after an intl holiday?
what are your favourite notes/coins?
weirdest ones you have?

I love Macedonian denar (notes and coins; coins are like pirate money and notes have peacocks on), Danish kroner and Ukrainian kopiyok. Some nice lil Chinese and UAE coins too. My faves are my Transnistrian coins/10 rouble note :heart_eyes:

(someone i know collects coins/notes - heā€™s gonna make a list of what he has and what he hasnā€™t got. if youā€™d be happy to contribute any of your leftover coins, lemme know. heā€™s alright for pounds/euros/US dollars but anything more unusual might be of interest)

When I was at me mams this week I found my old coin collection, need to have a proper go through them.

Normally end up with coins post holidays. Got about 20 quids worth of euros and sheikls in me bedroom drawers

1 Like

Yes!

Anything with big numbers on it that makes you feel extremely rich, e.g. 100,000 Indonesian Rupiah (=Ā£5)

Iā€™ll have a look later on and take some pictures. Pretty sure I have some from currencies that no longer exist.

1 Like

Love the Macedooan notes, so colourful.

Vietnamese Dong is good

2 Likes

Some nice big ones there!

I used to have a sock full of random coins from various holidays but I think it got lost last time I moved. Mildly annoying as it had quite a few pre-Euro nuggets: Francs, Guilders, Drachma and Deutschmarks for sure.

2 Likes

We got new notes a couple of years ago. Obviously I never carry cash, so the few times I have to handle them in work or whatever the new notes just feel really ridiculous to me.

Apparently these are our current notes, I only really remember the fish one (because hello, itā€™s a fish on actual money). The previous set of notes had faces of famous historical people on them.

Pretty sure Iā€™ve yet to see real life examples of the 500 and 1000 ones.

4 Likes

Actually the viking ship on the 100 note is also quite nice, as far as currency can ever be nice

I have a few coins with fish on, Icelandic kron[a/e/er?? cannot remember which is which] and Croatian kuna I think off the top of my head.

Always good fun to have animals on coins.

1 Like

Yeah think the fish coins are Icelandic!

I particularly like any coins with a hole in, and also any weirdly light coins made of aluminium or whatever.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s our leftovers pot

A quick root around yields us, euro, Australian and Icelandic currency. Thereā€™s probably some Canadian in there too, and maybe some Indian

1 Like

Quite liked the Costa Rican notes. Naturally all had pictures of birds, butterflies, monkeys, etc on them.

1 Like

That 100 note is a previous generation Norwegian one!

I think it was early 2008 I went to Norway, so itā€™s no surprise itā€™s out of date.

100 krone is less than a tenner apparently - I think there may have been a lower limit on what I could have got changed back. Or maybe I just never got around to itā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve got about 25ā‚¬, which should be worth a fortune soon

2 Likes

Hell yeah!

IMG_20210409_165058

I would argue that notes are quite boring, though, as they tend to be old statesmen who interest me little but Iā€™ll make an exception for Iran as the Ayatollah looks happy:

IMG_20210409_165532

I like this one too because I like boats:

IMG_20210409_165544

Coins are more interesting. I like this one from Hong Kong because of its shape:

I like this one from Israel because itā€™s got a menorah on it and I like menorahs:

IMG_20210409_165619

And this Turkish one I like too with the Bridge in Istanbul connecting east and west.

IMG_20210409_165637

6 Likes

Ones with native wildlife on them are best e.g. Brazil
Romania has a lot going on which I like

not really been to any countries other than that

4 Likes

I went into a Bureau de Change (they call themselves Forex Bank but I see through that shit) on Tuesday to cash some UK tenners my mum had sent in my birthday card back in February. When I walked in there was one customer in there and the cashier was counting out

ā€One millionā€¦one and a half, two millionā€ etc ā€¦up to ā€thereā€¦ 4million, three hundred and thirty thousand.ā€

And I was like wtf?!

Then the cashier said to the old dude ā€™Have a nice time in Indonesiaā€™

And I did a superfast google and it turns out it was about Ā£230

3 Likes

That reminds me of the regret I have of not buying Yugoslavian hyperinflation era money when I was in Belgrade. People were selling it everywhere for next to nothing and I still donā€™t know why I didnā€™t buy any. Notes with hundreds of billions on them. Crazy.

1 Like

Saying that, I just looked on eBay and you can pick up 50 billion Dinar for Ā£1.99