Forgotten bands - Dr Phibes & The House of Wax Equations

Will anyone around here even remember them ? two albums and a few EP’s. Fantastic live and properly psychedelic. I’d urge you to check them out if you like early 90’s psyche indie :slight_smile:

A very sad end to their story as briefly detailed here

1 Like

I liked them. Only saw them the once, supporting All About Eve of all people. Think I have a 12” of Whirlpool (?) knocking about somewhere

I saw them at Glastonbury 92. Left a real impression on 17 year old me. Heard them quite a lot on Peel over the short course of their existence…

1 Like

Another great forgotten band from the same era and same kind of sound were Levitation, formed by Terry Bickers after he left the House Of Love and far wilder and better than that lot.

2 Likes

I remember the name but didn’t really investigate back in the day. Did love the House of Love though. Especially the second album on Fontana.

I’m gonna leave this here as well. I loved the New Fast Automatic Daffodils.

2 Likes

Love Dr Phibes. I have Whirlpool and it’s ace. Still gets played often. Never saw them though :frowning:

The first Levitation album is great too (Need for Not?). I did see them and they were hot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of those guys went on to form Dark Star. Brilliant musicians. Bic Hayes is fantastic.

1 Like

Loved Hazy Lazy Hologram and love the New FADs.

We can file a lot of these bands under “bands you saw five seconds of on the ITV Chart Show Indie Chart and wanted to see more of”.

1 Like

Growing up in north wales/Chester I saw them loads back in the day… they seemed to play a venue near me every week…
Thoroughly depressing what happened to Howard King…

1 Like