Fountain pens - did I dream this? Maybe just for elderly DISers

Yeah, I could have flogged it!

How fancy was this hat?

Parker biro pens weren’t even decent. What were they, about £15?

Any kid worth their salt had a combined pen/pencil.

We had to use fountain pens at my school too and I had a Parker with cartridges. I don’t remember the tapping thing but I do remember that we used to break the empty cartridges open and the ball that was the stopper would then be flicked at friends.

Incidentally, I and most of my possessions had ink stains.

3 Likes
  • I had a pencil case like a fucking 1800s boarding school kid
  • Kept a pen in my pocket occasionally, failing that just borrowed one off a boff in class

0 voters

I’d say it cost a lot more than the pen

Woah!

Remember when retractable pencils became a big craze at my primary school - little bits of broken pencil lead everywhere

So many times an exercise book would end up coated with ink stains because ‘my pen leaked in my bag, sir’

1 Like

Someone threw one at me once when I was 13/14 and I still have a bit of pencil (graphite?) in the palm of my hand!

2 Likes

I don’t think Parker cartridges had that cartridge ball - it was the cheaper ones that did that.

Pen pouch, obviously

You’ll get lead poisoning! :scream:

1 Like

Thinly veiled’s sister is a teacher and her school only got rid of these three years ago. We inherited one and now have it in my daughter’s room as her craft table so it’s still in use:+1:

the fashion at my school was to get one of these tins

then cram everything you needed into the tin , and decorate the tin with tipp ex (you had to borrow this as tippex would not fit in the tin)

2 Likes

pencil cases were all the rage round our way

can’t find a picture of it, but those yikes slime pencil cases <3

also

7 Likes

I gave Mrs F an engraved gold-plated one from Selfridges a few years after we started seeing each other. Think she still uses it, but I don’t pay attention any more (or buy her expensive presents).

2 Likes

Ooh burn! :laughing: (I’m joking!)

It hasn’t killed me in 20 years! :laughing:

1 Like

Your superpower is that you can write a shopping list on any white wall.

2 Likes