Four Tet

Fred again is 30 and seems pretty popular with people I know well into in their 30s. I think he’s Jamie xx all over. You know, alright, bright poppy UK house stuff, decent enough talent for producing music, but sort of baffling why he’s so popular and has so many connections in high places, and sounds like all the things you like with all the edges shaved off/gentrified.

1 Like

I have tried with Fred Again but it’s so generic and predictable. Those last three albums sound exactly the same to me.

Four Tet is ace obviously. I hope there’s new music soon. (Quite liked the Four Tet and Skrillex track they made together, Butterflies).

Fred Again has some alright songs, but seems to really churn them out and, IMHO could do with producing fewer songs and spending more time on each. Three albums of pretty similar sounding house, with samples from your mates, is about two too many. For me.

Also, Fred Again fans get really bizarrely angry when people say they don’t like this music. Witness: https://www.reddit.com/r/fredagain/comments/yfrrdb/pitchfork_gave_al3_a_59/

Seems like a bunch of pretty balanced comments apart from one dodgy one which gets called out. It’s obviously not an issue people not liking his or anyone’s music, it’s the way that is expressed, and from what I’ve seen quite a bit of that comes across as pretty snooty. Fwiw I haven’t really connected with any of his stuff on record and skipped seeing him at Primavera when I could as there was other stuff that was a higher priority, so I’m certainly no sort of superfan. But his stuff is alright and seems to bring a lot of people a lot of happiness - I’d certainly be up for seeing him at some point if the opportunity arose.

3 Likes

Not into Fred Again’s… solo stuff - it’s a bit too generic for my taste, but his production on this Headie One EP is mega.

Smoke is a real tune. Think that one might be mostly Jamie xx though

1 Like

I only heard of Fred Again about a week ago, feel so out of touch

There’s a Fred Again track at the end of Triangle of Sadness that works quite nice with the film.

They’ve booked Madison Square Garden on Saturday. That’s over 20k capacity - insane.

1 Like

Sold out a total of about 6k in London in seconds from insta stories alone, they emailed about this, I have a feeling it will sell well. I hope so, anyway. Skrillex is probably a bigger draw in America.

1 Like

I’d love them to sell it out - could see it happening too.

1 Like
4 Likes

Fwiw skrillex has 30x more instagram followers than four tet

That’ll help

1 Like

Already sold out :open_mouth:

1 Like

nobody has ever jumped the shark harder than that lad

Probably a prick, but “apparently he tried his luck not paying some strippers but then he did” is so mild I’m not sure it’d make popbitch.

1 Like

Doing a second date!

This is the four tet stadium era. Grab a hot dog and enjoy the bleepy bloops from the nose bleeds.

8 Likes

so pleased for him, Kieran seems like such a lovely guy

1 Like