Free speech

What are the limits?

There are no limits on free speech.

There are consequences of free speech.

1 Like

I think a good guideline is: If ‘freedom of speech’ is the best argument you can give to defend what you’ve said, then you probably shouldn’t have said it.

16 Likes

I’m fine with anything that doesn’t annoy me

1 Like

“Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming. Doesn’t she look wonderful ladies and gentlemen. The groom once got drunk and fell over. That was a funny time. Even the cake’s in layers. Ladies and gentlemen I give you the bride and groom.”

There you go, gratis.

6 Likes

This is good

“Your right to swing your arm ends where my nose begins”

• Paul Scholes
5 Likes

Didn’t study philosophy for nothing :wink:

:joy:

For me it’s whatever Ricky Gervais is using it to defend.

1 Like

If you’re ever worried about your freedom of speech being denied then simply put a bit of tape over your mouth.

Told to wait until AOB in a board meeting? Put a bit of tape over your mouth.

Landlord calls last orders whilst you’re in the middle of a rant to a bemused local? Put a bit of tape over your mouth.

Trying to talk to someone in a noisy location and they can’t hear you properly? Put a bit of tape over your mouth.

1 Like

FreezePeach

2 Likes

There was a brilliant /r/legaladvice post the other day from someone who was being punished by their university for standing up in their sociology lecture and illustrating their question of “where is the line when it comes to what words we can and cannot say?” by listing a load of racial slurs. Surely this is protected under free speech, they said.