Freelance dickheads

nah i’m fine cheers mate, just wanna be free of this inevitable hassle every single month

1 Like

Companies are shit at paying, aren’t they? Not even freelancers, just in general. The last place I worked, they hired an outside PR firm to do stuff for them. It wasn’t a one-man-band, it was a proper firm, with offices and dozens of employees and everything. Via various internal shit, a few months in I ended up as a contact for the PR firm in the company, came into the office one day and found I’d got an email from them that I thought was terrifying, saying we owed them a tonne of money, threatening legal action, etc etc. I took it to our finance guy, who was basically “LOL, yeah, that’s standard, I’ll get it sorted at some point when I’m ready.” WTF? Is that just a start-up thing, or do all companies act like that?

It’s best to hold onto your cash as long as possible so everyone gives it a go

Seems like it would be easier if everyone just paid on time, rather than everybody withholding payment from everyone else.

This is probably why I’ll never be a successful entrepreneur.

Of course it would but the world of business is fucking ridiculous

1 Like

1 Like

it’s just shithead accounting 101 isn’t it? get money in as quickly as possible and roll all payments over to be as late as you can get away with so that your books look better than what they actually are.

2 Likes

I didn’t know it was allowed! I am very naive when it comes to business.

accountant at a friend’s work seems to be essentially payed for his uncanny ability to charm people and avoid paying them, they’re not even sure that he’s a legit accountant. Nice guy though by all accounts.

:‘’)

(post cant be…)

#BRACE YOURSELVES FOR SOME SATIRE!

6 Likes

I’ve had some bull excuses/workarounds from clients trying to get out of paying or putting off payment because they’re shit at accounting, almost all from this one dick client that gives me lots of work (otherwise I’d dump them as soon as I could):

• “our client hasn’t paid us yet so we can’t pay you yet”
  • “sorry, I can’t find the invoice, could you send it again please?” (search your fucking inbox)
  • paying this month’s invoice that I’ve just sent, because it’s less money
  • “which invoice is that please?” (stalling for a few days)
  • “our accountant is away at the moment” (mate I know it’s you who pays the invoices, there’s only 4 of you in the office)

i mean it isn’t really, but if you’re talking about rolling over a several thousand pound invoice over to the next month versus paying a £70 fine, it’s small potatoes.

this one makes my blood boil. i’m not working for your client, i’m working for you !!! :rage:

1 Like

See my flight thread!

Used to work for a very small company who did a fair bit of work for a major UK car manufacturer. Like multi-billion pound international company. Their payment terms were to pay us 90 days after we’d done the work and even then they wouldn’t pay on time. 6 months was not uncommon and they did not give one single fuck. Business.

going freelance next year so…

:money_mouth:

mate you’ve been saying this every year for 8 years

yeah it’s taken me a while - i’ve got some issues alright?

fair enough m9