Freelancing websites

Anyone had any success doing work through these?

Work is actually unbearable and I need to change before it ends me. Jobs in my field are few and far between - especially locally.

I do a lot of content writing in my job and I enjoy it. Despite what my shitposting on here would suggest, I think I’m also pretty alright at it.

The idea of freelancing through sites like Contently is very appealing. But it does seems hyper-competitive and I’m not crazy about doing my own finances/taxes.

Help me, DiS.

www.lanceisinnocent.org

I don’t know what this is, but I think you’re telling me to try my own ‘hire me’ website.

Re: finances. Getting returns done by a good accountant can cost as little as £400 for the year. So the first thing to do is not worry about that.

Also if you’re self-employed (rather than working through your own limited company) a tax return is actually really straightforward, providing you don’t have any bonkers additional sources of income etc etc.

Yeah. I do :frowning: otherwise I’d be doing my own, but full time job + part time work + dividends from ballet and so on. Maddening

Bloody ballet!

Something we can ALL relate to

Ffs took me a second

DIdn’t even realise it was an actual website until after I’d posted it

@sadpunk Re hyper competitive, though: yeah. That’s what’s made me not want to engage with sites like that. Feel a BIT devalued by even stepping into that market and being a solid writer is a focal point of my career confidence so don’t really want to feel ‘less’ on that front.

It may be completely different for content writing but there’s a few of these for translators and they’re all a waste of time as it’s a race to the bottom price-wise and there will always be someone willing to go cheaper than you. I don’t know anything about Contently in particular but I wouldn’t touch websites like Fiverr and Upwork even if I was starting out tbh.

Gotta say when I look at those sites I feel like a bit of a dinosaur. I’ve won 100% of my freelance work through networking or referrals but if I was getting started right now with no experience I’d be pretty, pretty fucked I reckon :-/

A sobering thought tbh

This is just my opinion from my experience, but if you want to make a full-time job out of content writing and earn a decent income from it then it’s a good idea to take some time to develop your skills while you’ve still got a full-time job and don’t have to take badly-paid piecemeal jobs to get by.

I guess if it’s more of a hobby to escape work drudgery then those sites are probably OK to start with to get a bit of experience, but IMO it’s not a long-term solution and if you want to make it a career then it’s probably not the path to go down. (Again, I’ve got no experience in that particular field but this is what I’ve gathered from my industry.)

The only danger is that you end up like me: in a full time job and doing a lot of freelance and worried about jumping one way or t’other

How much do you want to write my posts for me on Monday mornings, holidays and weekends?

No dogshite, either.

Thanks @carmen and @xylo

Plenty to think about.

One thing I’m definitely crossing off is the freelance websites. Just spent about half an hour on freelancer.co.uk and I’m already done with it. Stuff has over 100 bidders within minutes and the rate they’re quoting is nuts (down to $3 per hour already). I guess if you go this route, it can only work if you’re like one of those professional ebayers who learns who to “play the site”. Not for me, that.

£40 per thread starter
£25 per reply

You’ll have competition from the guys who used to write Lucien’s posts, so maybe think about your rates again.

yeah this is what i mean. i can deliver copy clean enough to eat off but most businesses using these websites are happy to pay a student $2 to do what I can, in the knowledge that the copy will be duff but they’ll pay out less and can ‘correct it in the mix’