Freezing Friday night thread

How do you get him to bed so early? Does he nap as well? M doesn’t fall asleep until 9.15!

Winch to Basingstoke is not what I consider a sizeable commute.

Tbf, you travelled around the country. 20 miles ew is a fair whack in all honesty. The massive rise in pay will obviously cover the travel, but I’ve had enough of driving to work.

In terms of the job, customer service manager for a skincare brand, based in their HO. Gonna stew on this one.

He is not quite asleep yet, but sounds on the way there. Not usually quite this early (we seem to be an hour ahead today), but he didn’t nap today and did a lot of walking when he was out with his dad earlier it seemed.

Mostly I’m lucky with him being on the whole a good sleeper, and this is one place where my rigidity with routines works in my favour I think. He has had almost the same bedtime routine since he was a year old pretty much. No nap days where he is active arw the easiest for getting him asleep (the hours before can be horrific though, unusually calm today though actually - must have used everything up in this morning’s mega tantrum).

1 Like

Ah and you can leave him to settle down himself? That’s great. I have to lie in bed with M until she’s asleep and it takes forever!

how do you deal with tantrums? I was thinking about this the other day and I was thinking just ignoring them until it stops? Is that mean?

I do 23ish miles each way every day. It’s fine.

except for the days when it isn’t

1 Like

probably doesn’t demonstrate to them that throwing tantrums is a bad thing though.

parenting sounds really difficult :frowning:

My mum did that kind of a commute for years (down the A6 mainly). Think it was mostly fine but one of those things where the rare bad days really got to her in the end. Particularly in the winter when it freezes and is dark etc.

Is it regular hours?

I did a 50 mile round trip for years and years, I thought it was fine, good chance to listen to music. But if you really can’t handle the driving then you need to start really limiting your search area. (Or consider a move)

I ignore her otherwise I end up having a tantrum myself (she has a LOT of tantrums). Not as easy when out and about though so we are largely hermits

2 Likes

Your daughter looks like an angel I can’t believe she has tantrums :grinning:

2 Likes

i live above a child’s playpark, so hear about 5-10 tantrums per day ::smiley:

not right above it, obviously. to the side, but above it.

I did used to have a lot of trouble with being able to leave him, but a great health visitor helped me put together a gradual withdrawal strategy that I have been working at for a year and a half and it has very gradually paid off - now I stay in the room for a minute or so in a couple of positions, getting nearer the door, and then I can leave. So grateful for the help I got because I couldn’t deal with his sleep before.

1 Like

What is the book / the new book?

WARNING: GREAT PARENTING COMING UP
(…Or I bribe her with chocolate which might be the worst parenting move ever but whatever stops the trauma suits me)

7 Likes

Yeah it drives me mad. 2-3 hours in her bedroom every night then once she’s asleep i just go to bed myself! Probably secretly reading DiS doesn’t help as she definitely knows

1 Like

@profk this basically. Ignoring negative behaviour and reinforcing positive behaviour is a good general strategy. Speak to them really calmly if at all and only really intervene if they are going to hurt themselves.

I am doing rubbish at the moment though and mostly end up screaming back at him :frowning:

Edit: also bribing is all you can do sometimes, but that can escalate into bigger bribes so is very unsustainable :grimacing:

It’s not that I can’t handle the driving, as I said, 34k miles in just over 2yrs is a long way to travel with no travel allowance. Think that my issue really. This is a much better commute than the one I used to do to @profk’s homeland. A move isn’t really on the cards, and I do need a change. Just popped up earlier when I was scanning. I’ll see

@guntrip I imagine so, and that is the only other sticking point. Means I’d barely see my daughter