Friday Thread

Off to work in a moment, meeting GBOL @he_2 for a beer later. :beers:

1 Like

Started work at 7am because I’m an idiot and very few things work at my department. I’m doing an absolute minimum of two hours of unpaid overtime each day; on average it’s 3.5 hours unpaid. This shit is starting to hurt me physically and mentally.

On a positive note, I’ve booked a ticket for Sorry To Bother You later tonight at The BFI and will sneak in mini bottles of wine to get drunk to as I watch. Mini victories/small pleasures.

1 Like

:grimacing: sounds exhausting. Has your lab been privatised or are you still NHS?

i don’t want to be at work i want to be at home with a snifter of lager reading the book about the french revolution my gf got me :sob:

1 Like

It’s 8am!

3 Likes

Thanks. Unfortunately we aren’t leaving the airport. Went to Ottawa once, which was, well, not Toronto.

:wink:

1 Like

i know, but better to start drinking late than start drinking never

We’re still NHS but we’ll be taken over very soon by a nearby NHS Trust or a private company.

Our Lab Manager that had been here for over 11 years left this earlier this year as did a consultant. We lost four senior staff in the last few months and two basic grades. The place is a mess. There’s unfortunately just me and my manager that are old school that are left. We’re not in a position to improve anything, we’re just trying to stop the department from falling off a cliff.

My sole aim is to prevent any harm to patients due to stupid and unsafe practices. It’s harder than it sounds as we just have a lot of young people that lack ability (and perhaps harsh to say but lack of care) and on top of this we’re a 24/7 department which means me and my manager take calls and texts at all hours from staff.

I hope your day will be better than mine. Take it easy. (Sorry to moan.)

3 Likes

Misty old walk to work this morning

17 Likes

In work. Fingers crossed it won’t be busy. Our tenants might think we’re closed for Christmas which might help. I really hope nothing big has gone wrong while we’ve been off.

Have the Beastie Boys book at my desk so will try and get through that in the quiet times.

Off work today
Got a good comfortable jumper on
Got coffee
Had a bacon roll

:metal::metal:

1 Like

Back to the docs to actually get a blood test this time. Having a nutritious peany B and Nutella sandwich for breakfast

1 Like

?

1 Like

Just overtook a shed on the M4

2 Likes

Today will be long and difficult. Already looking forward to my proper week off next week. Who’d be a manager, eh?

1 Like

Moan away! That sounds like a perfect setup for standards to slip and knowledge to be lost. And seemingly a frustratingly common situation in those labs.

K has been in quality roles in her current and previous labs and it’s astounding how detached some folks seem to be from the understanding that what you do impacts patient care decisions. That said, her current lab seems pretty damn good on the whole with some really strong seniors.

Anyway, it sounds shit and is a hugely underappreciated profession. Glad folks like you are involved although obvs would never begrudge you escaping the madness…

2 Likes

I’m in Newcastle, and spending the day visiting my grandmas.

Had a really heavy late night conversation with my mam last night about my dad. It’s left me feeling a bit worse for wear.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not Sunday?