Frying Aubergine 🍆

filth.

4 Likes

I usually grill it with a little bit of oil. Do you have grills in Australia?

I prefer to roast cubed aubergine over frying - still need plenty of oil but maybe not quite as much

Or cut into thin strips and cooked on a griddle pan works too

1 Like

I’m all for the griddle panned aub.

They don’t work in the upside down places. The food just falls off and sticks to the roof of the oven.

3 Likes

Bloody love Lebanese food, the texture of aubergine is extremely bad though in my opinion. I’m not a mush guy (cooked apples are the only thing I dislike more tbh)

I griddled some courgette for a pasta bake thing the other day - was lovely

GORGEttes more like

3 Likes

Aubergine is good and nice

3 Likes

Wife-o’s mauritian mate does really good aubergine fritters. Do you want me to ask her for the recipe theodore?

sounds like a '60s psych rock band.

2 Likes

No and you’ve reminded me that I did wonder about this.

Back in the 90s I was told this had been to remove a bitterness that was now bred out so it was unnecessary.

Also I don’t like salty food and wouldn’t want it too salty?

Why not mate, thanks.

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do boss.

Edit: I’ve failed you I’m afraid m9

2 Likes

It doesn’t make it salty but it draws out all the water so they’ll go crispier with less oil (I think???)

You just put them in a colinder with loads of rock salt and leave it for like 5 mins or so and then they’re all watery and you just dry them with paper towels. It helps if you’re doing a curry or something and they’ll absorb flavours a lot more.

1 Like

Also, tell her I think “Mauritius” is probably in my top 3 countries to pronounce the name of. It just sounds so warm and comforting doesn’t it?

1 Like

Ooh, okay cheers. I’ll try that next time.

Same kind of thing when you fry up mushrooms. You’ve got to salt those puppies early on.

Those French and their beautiful language eh. No can do on the recipe pal, see photo above.

1 Like

Is this a general food thread now?

Is anyone good or has a recipe for polenta? I’ve had it a couple of times recently where its cut into squares and all crispy and nice and oooh i want some