Fuck BBC News

I find that they load in a different way on the app so I close them instantly.

Remember to follow Giant Poppy Watch to ensure maximal respect for the fallen:

https://twitter.com/giantpoppywatch

2 Likes

At what point did the whole of life jump the shark?

I totally missed it.

Satire is dead and all that. But what was the time of murder?

4 Likes

I guess satire only works when everyone is in on the joke.

Seems that this has rarely been the case so in many ways, satire is hubris

It’s an incredible byproduct of wall to wall social media. There is now no joke or obvious spoof or opinion that will not be misunderstood or wilfully misinterpreted and passed around to others who didn’t see the context of the original comment.

there’s a balding ginger guy to the right there, as a balding ginger guy myself i find your lack of faith disturbing :rage:

would love to know more about the person in the cycle helmet

A lot of these people appeared only in the photograph.

You’re in luck, you can read all about him

2 Likes

Thank you for getting in touch again about our article reporting that a Coldstream Guardsman who was the first to wear a turban during Trooping the Colour is understood to have tested positive for cocaine (First Sikh turban-wearing guardsman fails drugs test - BBC News).

There are a few additional points to make in response, the first of which is that we amended one word in the headline when replacing ‘Leicester’ with ‘first’ in the hour or so after publication.

That wasn’t showing awareness of being biased-as you put it- but rather wanting to make clear to readers why this was a story.

You also write:

“According to the updated BBC report, 220 soldiers failed drugs tests in Jul-Oct last year. Do you call each of them out by name?”

While we do not routinely list every one of these names, we would report on individuals in the event they were particularly well-known or the circumstances newsworthy.

We judged that to be the case here, in a story concerning a soldier who became the first to wear a turban for Trooping the Colour and serving in the oldest continuously serving regiment in the British Army.

Reporting that without mentioning that Gdsm Lall is Sikh would raise more questions than answers and doing so is not anti-Sikh or irrelevant but referring to how he’s already known in the eyes of the public, having already been named by other media outlets.

Lads. Lads! Listen! It’s not that he is from Leicester. He wears a turban. That’s what is important.

4 Likes

Smh

2 Likes

eternal fuck to the bbc, this is really shitty, aphex.

2 Likes

I’ve been referred to the Executive Complaints Unit - fun!

The fact that you deem someone newsworthy by virtue of being Sikh is almost dictionary-definition bias. You would not have reported his name had he been Christian or had no faith.

You write:
“Reporting that without mentioning that Gdsm Lall is Sikh would raise more questions than answers and doing so is not anti-Sikh or irrelevant but referring to how he’s already known in the eyes of the public, having already been named by other media outlets.”

“Reporting that without mentioning that Gdsm Lall is Sikh would raise more questions than answers”
Yes, because the only reason you are reporting on him at all is because of his religion. Bias.

“having already been named by other media outlets”
I would hope that a publicly funded source of news would not be pegging its standards on what is worth reporting to other media outlets.

“While we do not routinely list every one of these names, we would report on individuals in the event they were particularly well-known or the circumstances newsworthy”

A quick google finds one other story which calls out a soldier by name in relation to drugs tests.

Of course, this is someone who was actually dealing cocaine, and the thrust of the story is on the stresses that led him to that place, with no mention of his religion, naturally. So to qualify as newsworthy you need to either have actually dealt large quantities of cocaine or be Sikh.

You are one of the most important news organisations in the world. You have the opportunity to shape what is and isn’t considered newsworthy rather than pandering to latent xenophobia. You have only published this story because of the religion of the man in question.

31 Likes

Yes!

5 Likes

Excellent work

4 Likes

Think he’s catching a flight with @plasticniki

1 Like

Sickening garbage from the BBC royal stooge:

"And it is a job that the royals do extraordinarily well - soft-power diplomacy, the projection of British culture and heritage that yields payback in goodwill, tourism and the promotion of British values.

There is no substitute.

Neither prime ministers nor pop stars nor footballers, could pull together the crowds and causes that Harry and Meghan did in this long four country tour.

It was, few will disagree, a job well done."

Woman throws a gumboot = soft power

1 Like

The BBC think it’s their job to have anti-Corbyn guests on their shows and treat their statements as serious political comment rather than hugely biased and designed to undermine the current Labour Party.

Capture

How do you know?

8 Likes