Fuck BBC News

“most influential public intellectual in the Western World”

5 Likes

What’s this in reference to? (Specifically)

Jordan Peterson and people like him have an ongoing bee in their bonnets about ‘campus politics’, freedom and speech and whatever. They spend a lot of time moaning about young people as if it’s the end of civilisation cause someone got annoyed that they said something stupid. I think it’s just a continuation of old man yells at cloud but places like the bbc think it’s important to let the old man yell on tv. (He was on tv yesterday).

1 Like

for the sake of “balanced opinion”

4 Likes

He didn’t yell on QT yesterday, he was very restrained. Might have spotted the inklings of some rapport with Diane Abbott of all people too. What a world.

Question Time is a crock of horseshit but Diane was very good on it last night I thought.

Yeah gotta look sensible with a bbc audience instead of that unhinged gq thing from the other day

Yeah I’m sure the schedulers were probably disappointed with how it went eh. Probably wanted him to get his fire and brimstone act out.

re: GQ I imagine most people on here would probably get a bit unhinged in conversation with Helen Lewis as well tbh!

I think he’s learnt to keep very quiet during a lot of these things now.

In the event, the audience (exterminate people!) and David Aaronovitch (listing every black cultural stereotype he could as the cause of knife crime) made him look relatively moderate.

Yeah I actually jolted out of my seat at that. Fucking hell.

I typed up an interview with Aaronovitch the other day that did nothing to improve my opinion of him, I have to say. Unguarded, in conversation with people he considers his peers, he’s quite off-putting.

Why is this news?
Why is this in the public interest?
Why do you think that’s what hacked means?

Wonder if it will be protected by the council.

Can anyone think of a single positive contribution that Aaronovitch has made to any argument, column, appearance or anything he has ever contributed to? There’s just nothing.

Ok when he was on Daily Politics when Alex Jones was on it maybe. That was amusing. But that’s a pretty big target.

1 Like

His defense of Scruton the other day was REALLY weird:

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1060460590857142272

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1060462393036337153

3 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing.

And regarding his views on the built environment: Pretty much every expert in the fields of architecture, urban design and planning disagrees with his opinions because they’re outdated and reactionary.

The announcement of Scruton’s appointment is just another attempt by the government to open up a further front in the ‘culture war’ narrative.

3 Likes

He last published a book on architecture (and the aesthetics thereof) in… 1997. Just the kind of forward-thinking young buck we need I say.

I was also not aware of this, and it brightened up my week BBC News | ENTERTAINMENT | Libel damages for Pet Shop Boys

He writes and lectures a fair bit on Architecture, plus the government appointed him, Quinlan Terry (pastiche neo-classicist architect) and Terry Farrell (decent urban designer, but with a bad po-mo streak) to write their design guide a few years ago:

Tiny, unliveable, backward-looking homes for a tiny, unliveable, backward-looking island

10 Likes

Still don’t understand what his shtick actually is. From what I’ve seen just a load of cobbled together ideas about ‘men’s rights’, scientifically inaccurate ideas about human/lobster behaviour, and something about stroking cats when you see them. Is he basically Alain de Botton for Alt-Right types?