Fucked Up - Rolling Thread

Very happy to have FUCKED UP back and what already appears to be in much better form than Glass Boys which, while good is certainly their weakest effort. Their new album DOSE YOUR DREAMS is out 5th October (day before my 30th birthday, they also released ChemCom the day after my 20th(!!!) birthday) and the first song out is “Raise Your Voice Joyce” which starts off fairly expected from FU before going super psychedelic:

The video is shot in London as Jonah lives here now. Owen Pallet who has returned to do string arrangements for the band has described it as their “Screamadelica” while Damian himself has said:

https://twitter.com/leftfordamian/status/1021406882433396741

Not gonna lie lads, I’m instantly pretty hyped for this. Praying I can get the time off to go see them at Visions next week.

1 Like

@mods please close down my thread of the same title… one should be enough

1 Like

oh apologies, didn’t see you there, please bring that full quote into here!

I think there must’ve literally been seconds between us posting

“This album is about the freedom to live, to dream, and to make new dreams come alive in our real lives, which have been fed over to the forces of greed, social media, reification, consumerism, and social media. I can still remember when there were other dreams to be had. We read fantasies and history and the adventures of those who came before us, the failed romantic revolutions, and the struggles to make something different. I made this record to remind people that all those dreams are still up in the air, and that it’s up to any of us to grab one and make it real. You still get to have your own dreams and you still get to live your own life, in this era where social media and phones vie for our attention and take away all our time and put our emotions and relationships under lock and key and into shining little boxes, where we are more connected than ever, but more alone. Where we live in a world led by those so afraid that their only dream was to make money, and to make sure everyone had the same dream, those who would scold us, and make laws against us, and send us to work and to school, to shoot us and kill us and to lock us up and distract us, and kill us, forever. We remember other dreams, and we remember when living in other ways wasn’t just a dream.”

1 Like

OOOOOOH FUCK YEAH :metal:

“This album is about the freedom to live, to dream, and to make new dreams come alive in our real lives, which have been fed over to the forces of greed, social media, reification, consumerism, and social media. I can still remember when there were other dreams to be had. We read fantasies and history and the adventures of those who came before us, the failed romantic revolutions, and the struggles to make something different. I made this record to remind people that all those dreams are still up in the air, and that it’s up to any of us to grab one and make it real. You still get to have your own dreams and you still get to live your own life, in this era where social media and phones vie for our attention and take away all our time and put our emotions and relationships under lock and key and into shining little boxes, where we are more connected than ever, but more alone. Where we live in a world led by those so afraid that their only dream was to make money, and to make sure everyone had the same dream, those who would scold us, and make laws against us, and send us to work and to school, to shoot us and kill us and to lock us up and distract us, and kill us, forever. We remember other dreams, and we remember when living in other ways wasn’t just a dream.”

2 Likes

looking forward to this. was quite surprised at how lacklustre Glass Boys felt after David Comes To Life so hopefully this is better

1 Like

Haven’t returned to Glass Boys anywhere near as much as their other records which says a lot. Wonderful band, mind, so I am desperately looking forward to this!

Their set at Visions in 2016 in Oslo (Hackney…) playing Hidden World in full remains one of my favourite sets I’ve seen live.

1 Like

I like how it turns into Animal Collective

1 Like

Same, rivalled only by the year earlier when they played the zodiac singles at Shacklewell and Damian dedicated Year of the Ox (my fave) to me because I’m such a creepy super fan :nerd_face:

They seem to go on an “AMAZING ALBUM>good album” cycle so excited this will deliver on my thoroughly unscientific basis

1 Like

Glass Boys was really good. Obviously no David Comes to Life but what is. Excited bout this

2 Likes

Holy shit owen pallett

1 Like

Hidden World :wink:

Yeah man he’s always done their strings

Amazing. Love both but never had any idea

1 Like

yeah I was thnking that myself earlier , hopefully this keeps that run

1 Like

Yeah he’s he’s a big reason i picked up Hidden World in the first place, the bit at the end of Two Snakes for instance :heart_eyes:

1 Like

oof yes big into this

is Ben still in them or is he doing No Warning stuff still?

1 Like

Most recent press photo would suggest yeah he’s still there:

1 Like

Getting hyped listening to year of the ox on the megabus which FYI will be my funeral song x

2 Likes