Funny first date stories

Went on a date once with someone from OkCupid and the first thing she did was run around me up the sloped pavement so she could ‘make me not seem so tall’. During this date we drank a lot of cocktails and then a lot of cider and she asked me such questions as ‘are you worried that if you ever went to Tokyo they’d think you were Godzilla?’ and ‘you have nice long eyelashes, did you nick them off a cow?’.

Just had our 6th wedding anniversary.

34 Likes

well are you? did you?

1 Like

Yes a bit and no, I grew them myself.

1 Like

once went on a ‘date’ with someone who bragged that he took all his celebrity clients (he did website stuff) to this pub as it was out of the way, low key etc.

Those celeb clients? Dean Gaffney :woman_shrugging:

14 Likes

Haha. Don’t think me and MrS have ever been on a ‘date’

6 Likes

Christ, imagine getting divorced before you have finished school.

14 Likes

Superb

6 Likes

Not really got any of my own, but I remember a friend telling me about a time when she was maybe 17 and agreed to go on a date with this boy. The boy wanted to make a bit of a grand entrance, so he put on a full suit and black tie, got his mum(?) to drive him to her house, park the car on the drive with the headlights on full beam, and when she opened the door, he sang Angels by Robbie Williams at her, with the backing track blaring from the car stereo.

15 years later… Who knows tbh

21 Likes

There’s a full thread in the HEBS adverts, there’s some absolute classics

1 Like

I got a message on a dating site once from the best friend of a guy I’d had a very acrimonious breakup with a couple of years before. :grimacing:

I think he didn’t recognise me as, like, if you were going to message your best mate’s ex you’d probably acknowledge it in the message wouldn’t? Especially if you’d lied about your height

1 Like

I remember trying to ingratiate myself with a girl by offering to drive her home from the station after a works night out in London. She protested, claiming that she lived closer to the station than my car was, but I wouldn’t listen so kept asking. In the end she accepted the lift (and of course she lived closer to the station than my car was)

And then just after we’d started going out we’d got tickets to see Leftfield in Brighton. I drove us all the way there only for her to realise she’d left her ticket on her kitchen table.

I drove all the way back to Croydon, then back to Brighton and somehow we only missed about one song.

Miraculously, after such a rocky start (another early date involved going to see that exceptionally romantic film Dancer in the Dark :grimacing:) we ended up married

11 Likes

Got asked out by my cousin’s friend at my Uncle’s funereal. Bad start but he was really hot so :woman_shrugging:
We go on our first date a week later and just get SHITFACED because ultimately we did not like each other. Very different people. Obviously banged him because again, he was very hot, but I did keep having to say “shhhh” whenever he opened his mouth. “Seriously Ben, please don’t ruin this by talking.”
Fine, whatever, neither of us finish but that’s how it goes sometimes. The next morning we’re watching a film in my bed and he says “just so you know, I have a criminal record” and I’m all tee hee I know, that’s why I’m here, you have a severe drug problem and I’m going to fix you and he’s all “no seriously, don’t google me.” Waited ten minutes and then went to the toilet with my phone and looked him up and yes, actual BBC news page, photos of him with his hood over his face, because he had been very racist to a footballer on twitter and been rightly charged. Awful. Should’ve guessed from the Arsenal tattoos he was covered in.

Also I’m so glad most of you guys’ stories end in marriage but also stop it

20 Likes

I was worried this was going to end badly!! all I could think whilst I was reading this was “this woman sounds brilliant” I’m glad it did :heart:

1 Like

In my defence I didn’t mention the divorce less than five years later. It would have saved a lot of mental stress for it all to have gone wrong in the first week tbh

Same. On the whole they’re rather civilised affairs with no faux pas, no climbing out of toilet windows etc.

Once went out on a date with a girl who refused to take off her sunglasses ala Bono, so I spent the entire date starring at a reflection of myself.

First date with an ex resulted in the pub we were in having to be shut early, curtailing the date to little more than 90 minutes, because local gypsies were threatening to bring caravans into the pub carpark. The most bizarre end to a date I’d experienced and felt disheartened, thinking that was that, but she invited me back to hers and you can guess the rest.

This didn’t happen to me but to a friend of a friend when we were 14. My friend and this guy went on a double date and when they were dropped off at the bowling alley by my friend’s dad this guy got out of the car and, in front of my mate, his date and his own date, a banana fell out of his pocket, much to the group’s disbelief. Was the stuff of legend amongst our peer group at the time.

2 Likes

I would have married her too tbh, what a legend

2 Likes

She absolutely is.

2 Likes

Not really funny, just fucking weird but I was on a date with someone said she’d been looking for/wanted to get a taser, I asked why and they said to ‘‘protect themselves from black people on the bus’’
Utterly completely jaw dropping. Just said I needed the loo and walked out.