Games, books, tv/film etc that have instantly won you over

Thought this could be a fun/interesting thread.

When have you been immediately won over by something? Going to say that counts as the first couple of pages of a book or first few minutes of a game or film/TV but I’m not rigid about it so go with whatever.

There’s probably a good thread in the opposite too. Maybe it already exists?

I just started Night in the Woods and I was already loving the first few clicks but then the TV and this scene had me all “okay, I need this game”. It’s not a particularly original joke but it works perfectly in (minimal) context.

“What’s in the news today, Malloy?”
“Markets were up today!”
“Waaaaaay up!”
“I’m looking at a chart, and it’s pretty impressive!”
“The economy added 15,000 jobs… mostly in the chart sector.”
“Which is notoriously recession proof!”

I’m sure there’s some books that have had opening paragraphs that had me captured but can’t think off the top of my head.

Drilling the cola :joy::joy::joy:

What can I say, I’m a very simple person…

Maybe include a TV series?

I was at Primrose Hill having a drink and watched the first episode of Hacks just now. Really loved it. Looking forward to more of it.

I’m hoping it’s one where I like it that I limit it to one a day or so and don’t just binge out a series in a week.

For a film. It was Richard Linklater’s Slacker. It made perfect sense to me when I saw it for the first time as a young 20 year old.

That first episode of Hacks had a throwaway line when a character was on the phone saying “Well he says he’s filiming a new Linklater film but I won’t know for sure another 20 fucking years.”

Love Slacker and I hope Hacks is as good as that first episode.

Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace.

If you’re not in by the end of the opening monologue, you’re not in.

2 Likes

The opening paragraph of The Crow Road by Iain Banks. The first sentence is famous, but the whole thing is so tantalising, especially the end: “it always seemed to be death that drew me back to Gallanach”

3 Likes

The Leftovers (TV show). So, so good, way better than it has any right to be and a nice, neat three seasons, but it had me from go.

@riverwise I grew up a huge, huge Iain (M) Banks fan and still am, but I took a slightly circuitous route in (my first read of his was The Business, which I love) so by the time I got to The Crow Road, which I think was the fourth of his I read, I was already sold and I sort of spoiled that intro for me because I was a bit like, ‘Yes, it’s Iain, it’s obviously great.’ Wish I could read it with fresh eyes, maybe enough time has passed now to try!

1 Like

Fuckin BOTW man

(That’s Breath Of The Wild, not Bridge Over Troubled Water, which is also good)

5 Likes

The Bear was a very quick one recently the single cam shots through the kitchen then the close ones on the cooking instantly sold me.

Mario Odyssey Getting to play as a T-Rex and stomping around quickly won me over and I wanted to see what else my hat would take control of

3 Likes

It’s great when this sensation happens with music, there’s so much out there that when you find something that feels unique it feels really special.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful game, and I’m pretty confident that you’re going to love the rest of it too

1 Like

I’d long decided Stath Lets Flats was one of those comedies I wouldn’t like, without having watched a second of it. Then a colleague told me to watch it, started with series 3 and it was instant adoration. Exactly my cup of tea. Watched all three series twice through in the space of a fortnight

5 Likes