Games completed 2022

Modern warfare 2 campaign
I commend the sheer variety on display here. No 2 missions feel the same really but it does make for quite a jarring and depending on your preferences infuriating experiece at times. I HATE STEALTH and thos game does a lot of stealth. Its not really a COD campaign at all but rather a miss mash of ideas thrown together but with that being said overall it hits nore than it misses. Im sure those more into stealth will be well into this. It dabbles woth yhe blockbuster action sequences (not often), stealth, stratergy, survival it hits all the beats and does actually highlight some onteresting ways COD could go in the future. The story is eh. Its typical, nothing renotely shocking about it at all really. Some of the missions are incredible though… the oil rig one especially was very menorable because you end up fighting on a cargo ship in a storm and my lordy dodging cover thats constantly moving is a blast. Production values are of course thriuggh the roof. Its about 6hrs long and is fucking difficult i actually was tempted to knock it down from regular difficulty 3 or 4 times during the campaign. Actially think online multiplayer is easier which is a first

Still nice to see a cod campaign which isnt just training wheels for the PVP

7/10

Syphon Filter 2 - PS1 on PS5

Fuckkkk, those last few levels are BRUTAL hard. Can’t believe people would have the patience without save states and rewind.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Dated as heck, but a riot. And very creative and surprising in places.

7/10

1 Like

“Xing? I need an evac. Sending coordinates”

1 Like

23rd Jan - God of War (PS4)
10th Feb - Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox Series S)
11th Feb - Starfox 64 (Nintendo Switch)
14th Feb - Sunset Overdrive (Xbox Series S)
16th Feb - Superliminal (Xbox Series S)
12th Jun - Elden Ring (Xbox Series S)
23rd June - TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge (Xbox Series S)
11th July - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox Series S)
9th Sept - Hitman 3 + DLC (Xbox Series S)
21st Sept - Immortality (Xbox Series S)
10th October - Neon White (Nintendo Switch)
17th October - Return to Monkey Island (Nintendo Switch)

5th November - Hitman (Xbox Series S)

So that’s all 3 beaten now. This one is pretty staggering given its age compared to the others, and they came right out of the gate with a couple of the best levels in the series. Not much to add that I haven’t said in posts about 2 and 3 before. It’s such a clever series and it makes me very excited for what they do with the Bond license.

I’d say in terms of preference, that 2 > 1 > 3 but that they’re all very good, and taken as an entire entity, represent incredible (replay) value and some of the most original and interesting gaming moments I’ve had in years.

2 Likes

Cyberpunk 2077 5/10

Started a new game and finally finished it after buying on release. There’s a game there, but its super poorly executed imo. Looks, plays, feels really nice, but its fundamentally lacking a soul. You basically play as a remorseless butcher, navigating one of the weakest, most milquetoast stories I’ve ever sat through, and that ultimately feels like one of the most pointless and badly nihilistic experiences of all time at it’s lowest points. Saved by the production values and I liked some of the characters, but really feels like they had too many ideas and no singular direction in which to take the game. The open world is depressing. All that work making it and not a single thing to interact with outside looting batteries and assault rifles from rubbish bins.

1 Like

Spot on.

1 Like

1 Bioshock Infinite
2 The Talos Principle
3 Far: Lone Sails
4 DOOM (2016)
5 Elden Ring
6 Halo Infinite
7 Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
8 Control
9 Fallout 4
10 Red Dead Redemption 2
11 Dark Souls 3
12 Neon White
13 Portal
14 Tinykin

15 Splatoon 3

Still need to go back and hoover up a few optional levels, but loved the single player on this. Wasn’t massively disimilar to the single player from 2, but just generally more satisfying + took a fair amount of cues from the Octo Expansion (which was better than the main 2 campain). Really fun end boss.

16 Outsighted

Started off loving the old-school Zelda vibes gameplay-wise, and enjoyed the combat - early on I’d have been agreeing with all the 9/10 reviews, but by the end the combat had gotten stale, some of the controls were a bit janky and level design was occasionally annoying. More of a 7/10.

Feel like I must have completed something on my Xbox since I last posted, but I’ve mostly been playing another run of Elden Ring on that, and developing a bad habit of starting and not finishing stuff on Game Pass.

1 Like

Evil Within 2 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5) - three times
Unpacking (Switch)
Gorogoa (Switch)
Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise (Switch)
911 Operator (Switch)
Dark Souls - PS5
Control - PS5
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - PS5
Luigi’s Mansion 3 - Switch
Portal - Switch
Portal II - Switch
Stray - PS5
Demon’s Souls - PS5
Thymesia - PS5
Return to Monkey Island - Switch
I Was a Teenage Exocolonist - Switch
Nioh 2 - PS5

I enjoyed Nioh 2 and the combat was great but the things I didn’t enjoy from the first game were still present in this (over reliance of reusing maps with just different enemy placement and bosses, way way way too many items/weapons/armour for a game with a hard inventory limit - still had to stop evey couple of levels and spend 10 mins either dumping or selling things so I could free up space to pick up more things to then repeat this again.).

Combat was still great, really fast and furious with some excellent boss battles and a lot of fun to play but as with the first as I neared the end of the game I felt myself having to push on until the end rather than wanting to play more.

1 Like

Hades 9/10

Got through the story finally today. Put it down for ages on Switch but bought it again on my Steamdeck and haven’t been able to stop playing. Love everything about it - the combat is so varied and fluid, the story, characters and dialogue are brilliant, the soundtrack is one of the best of all time imo, addictive as fuck, and I…just love it. An all timer for me. Loses a point because they could add some more variety in how you interact with the levels and I think some non-story DLC is long overdue.

6 Likes
  1. Firewatch
  2. Halo Infinite (Campaign)
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Tell Me Why
  5. Full Throttle Remastered
  6. Assasins Creed Origins
  7. Life is Strange True Colors (1000G)
  8. Immortality
  9. Tinykin (1000G)

10. Forza Horizon 5 Hall of Fame 8/10
I have gone up and down with the old Forza, because at first I liked it, and then I bounced off it. Put in 15 hours and gave up, thinking it was a load of nonsense. Now I am at 64 hours and love it. I finally made it to the Hall of Fame, so I’m counting that as “completing” a game that never ends.

11. Prodeus 9/10
This has been one of the stand outs from my year - it absolutely slaps. Incredible gunplay, level design, graphics and sound if you are into that sort of thing which I very much am. It’s as old school an FPS as you can get basically, and it’s genuinely incredible at giving surprises. The weapons are obviously a rip off of Doom and Quake, and the whole game basically is a mix of the scifi of Doom and the hellscapes with Quake and others. The story is incomprehensible really, but by god it is great just gibbing the shit out of hunners of baddies.

12. Somerville 6/10
This is a flawed game in three ways - the gameplay is clunky as hell, the presentation struggles to maintain any level of acceptability, and the story is great right up until it just becomes an obtuse mess. In the moments, I enjoyed parts and the basic concept is absolutely great, but the puzzles are a little to hard to decypher the intention, the graphics look great at points but in other places make it hard to play. And the ending - what in the ever loving fuck. I only managed to “finish” it by going to a guide as I had no idea what the fuck was supposed to be going on.

3 Likes

Finished Control. Still no idea what happened, but I liked the Finnish janitor and that she has a fancy jacket now.

4 Likes

Bam’s top 26 games of the year 2022

1 Elden Ring
2 Dark Souls 2
3 Tactics Ogre Reborn
4 Final Fantasy Tactics
5 Slice & Dice
6 Witcher 3 feat. Blood & Wine
7 Xenoblade Chronicles 3
8 Bloodstained: Curse of The Moon 2
9 Super Mario World
10 Streets of Rage 2
11 FFVII Remake
12 Prodeus
13 X-Com 1993
14 God of War 2018
15 Shining Force 1
16 Tunic
17 Death’s Door
18 Gunstar Heroes
19 Halo Wars
20 Halo Reach
21 Stronghold
22 Metal Slug 2
23 Sonic 2
24 Metal Slug 3
25 Shinobi 3
26 Golden Axe
8 Likes

I started Into the Breach on Friday

maybe my brain isn’t in a good place for it, but it took me so many tries to make any progress

managed to get past the first island last night, and I’m into the third on my present run

been playing on Normal mode with 3/4 of the advanced features on (tried them all off and it felt wrong)

it’s very chess, isn’t it

I had to look up some beginner tips to really sort my decision-making out, but even then it’s pretty unsparing if you put one foot wrong

1 Like

It’s so chess like innit. Think the key for me was to be as expendable as you can with your robots and to try and use the artillery to move multiple monsters and bots. The artillery piece was really important for me

yeah, crucial part of getting your priorities in order innit

thinking from the power grid down, pushing bugs around to avert attacks, making them attack each other or take damage from hitting each other… etc

idk about you, but I think I struggle most with the initial placement of my guys?

I did too, usually just put the megatron guy smack in the middle, the tank on one flank as it has the most movement and the arty at the back in the middle

yeh same!! painted myself into a few corners along the way, though

1 Like

23rd Jan - God of War (PS4)
10th Feb - Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox Series S)
11th Feb - Starfox 64 (Nintendo Switch)
14th Feb - Sunset Overdrive (Xbox Series S)
16th Feb - Superliminal (Xbox Series S)
12th Jun - Elden Ring (Xbox Series S)
23rd June - TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge (Xbox Series S)
11th July - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox Series S)
9th Sept - Hitman 3 + DLC (Xbox Series S)
21st Sept - Immortality (Xbox Series S)
10th October - Neon White (Nintendo Switch)
17th October - Return to Monkey Island (Nintendo Switch)
5th November - Hitman (Xbox Series S)

20th November - Prodeus (Xbox Series S)

This is something I didn’t know I needed in my life. A community made FPS onslaught that is somehow what you get when you take the original DOOM and smash it together with the 2016 remake. A graphic style that feels really unique, a blistering soundtrack, weapons that feel so heftily satisfying, level design that evokes Quake / Duke Nukem 3D at their finest, constant need to be moving and an endless stream of bad guys. The more you string your kills together and stay alive, the more the scenery turns red like Bloodborne mixed with Splatoon.

It goes a bit Gothic Halo near the end and the enemy variety, if we’re being critical, is a 100% pastiche of DOOMs but somehow it manages to feel like it’s own thing. And have a decent map.

I just love the level design here. I never felt lost, I loved the secrets… It was great.

One of the years gems and a credible top 5 GOTY for me.

3 Likes
  1. Persona 4: Golden

Well, 81 hours later and I’m finally done. Really loved lots of things about this game, though obviously its treatment of queer & trans characters is a huge disappointment. Really frustrating to see a game come so close to getting it right then dive off a fucking cliff.

On a more positive note: it’s really great fun to play, and surprisingly well-paced for a game this long. I did get to a point later on where I’d maxed out every social link I had access to & I basically had to grind through a month with very little to do to access the last few dungeons, but apart from that it all flowed really well.

Really want to play Persona 5 now, but reckon I should probably take quite a long break before I do… :sweat_smile:

1. The Last of Us Part I

Started this when it came out and dropped it just before the very end because I got distracted by Persona.

It’s The Last of Us but shinier. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like