Games / toys / other things your parents wouldn't buy you as a kid

@colon_closed_bracket see! that’s not a scalextric!

1 Like

He’d be a total Don Segwaying into school past the walkers and the scooters.

1 Like

Looks like a moody knock-off Scalextric. @rich-t’s dad made a wise move :+1:

I do remember it being one of those board games that my parents weren’t too keen on us having, compared to some of the others that we used to play, but my brother and I ended up getting Mousetrap and Ghost Castle one Christmas from my grandparents, and they were soon won over, especially by the latter.

28 years old I was.

2 Likes

Hot Wheels innit?

It’s a hot wheels thing with an accelerator thing. Obviously scalextric was a different thing.

I had the matchbox equivalent:

2 Likes

Don’t have any kids, but my sister’s kids played me like a chump.

Six year old niece asked me for some make-up and I got hold of free samples courtesy of a friend. Sister was not happy at all.

12 year old nephew asked me for a cert 18 video game and that mum said it was ok and she would pay me back later.

3 Likes

Think that’s the stuff my dad had, but non glow in the dark

Yeah, it’s been around since the 1960s.

K’nex, Subbuteo, Scalextric, Nerf guns, Super Soaker - because my mum thought they weren’t right for girls

1 Like

I can’t think of anything that I wasn’t allowed - the nearest was my mum objecting to me getting Road Rash on the Mega Drive because she thought it was inappropriate, but eventually relenting. not sure why as she thought Mortal Kombat etc. were fine, so ripping people’s hearts out or whatever was OK but obviously racing bikes and punching people crossed the line.

Felt pretty bitter when she bought my nephew a Scalextric last Christmas tbh

2 Likes

Violent vidya games for a good while. Used to borrow GTA off friends and get them to put it in the case of a racing game.

Bloody cyclists

1 Like

I had LA Lights

i’m amusing myself by imagining your sisters kids referring to you as Uncle Bonfire

1 Like

Ill never forget when me and my mate went on a Segway, at the end of it my mate sighed and said ‘and I have been using my legs like a mug all this time’

4 Likes

Not far off. I’m called Boro Mama (translation - older brother of mother)

Slightly related, when we were younger me and my sister went through a phase of making my dad presents for Christmas at school, Only much later did we realise he wasn’t displaying them on his desk at work as they all looked like sex toys

2 Likes