Gaming 2019

nodarksoulschat

No! I want to at least work out how the d*mn you get a pass to London and deliver it first. I may wind up wiki-cheating for that, at least.

I needed a good laugh

I liked the part that said that establishing the police station as a stronghold is naive and racist.

For real though, this reads like a parody of a Waypoint article

seems like a legitimate criticism to me

That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running? Though the game does later connect the upper echelons of the police management with the evil, shady doings of the Umbrella corporation (whose decidedly unethical bioweapons research started the whole zombie apocalypse in the first place).

Such a strange thing to slot in the middle of an article hat you wanted the game to let you play as a doctor or someone trying who wanted to get to know and understand the zombies.

I’ve… thankfully never needed to use my supplies in a zombie outbreak, not yet.

Some people have all the luck.

doesn’t seem bad to me?

I mean that’s what waypoint is for really, a kinda sociological reading of games. I don’t think Danielle is saying it’s a bad game and it’s good that we are at the point where people can discuss these elements of games seriously.

Dont think shes saying its a bad game its just the article truly reads like a parody of a Waypoint article. I don’t like articles like these as it adds ammunition in the cannon of those who dont want to see social discussions in video games, pointing to articles like this as SJW going too far. And yknow what I’d have a hard time arguing with them if this was presented to me

To be honest if any of the RE games I’ve played had given me the option to surrender to zombiehood and then just go off chewing jocks I’d probably have gone for it.

She’s taking the game too seriously. We’re taking the article too seriously.

I just found it funny more than anything.

I dunno I can’t speak for PoC in America but it does seem like for a lot of people (and even here in the UK) a police station isn’t exactly a place of safety and refuge.

Games writing has gone past the point of informative product reviews, better to get that in a video or podcast.

It’s good that they are finding a way to write thoughts about how games reflect wider social issues.

Bit crappy to say people shouldn’t write about this stuff because then gamergate folks will win.

That isn’t at all what I’m saying. I’m just saying this is bad wrtiing.

Or far-reaching or just a confused article. Like that paragraph legit feels like it was inserted purely because of the website it was on, it has no real connection to the narrative of the general article and I don’t even think the game really warrants such heavy gravatus towards something that boils down to ‘this is a replacement for a mansion’

Bunkers and shelters are established at large reinforced public buildings all the time in cases of emergency’s so kind of weird to think a police station is out of step. Like it really does feel like it’s written by someone taking the piss out of Vice by slipping that nugget in the middle of the article (and the constant mentioning about how she helps people in the real world because shes not a selfish survivor)

But I must reiterate, the article hasn’t upset me. I just found it funny and baffling and shared it.

that’s fair enough but I think a lot of people who play games and the entire culture around games has a history of ignoring aspects of them or dismissing them as just games and not worthy of further analysis. Maybe for a lot of people this is because for many years as kids we see them as arriving as these fully formed products and not a process of people’s decisions. For a long time games were very stereotypical and borderline racist in their depiction of cultures etc maybe due to cultural differences or insensitivity or due to technical limitations on the hardware for telling nuances stories. Anyway we are past that point now and people are perfectly entitled to critique parts of games in the same way they would with books or movies.

It’s a decent starting point for an article discussing the role of games in reflecting society - all its warts and everything - but it feels a slightly strange criticism of an individual game that is:

• written from a Japanese perspective
  • in the 1990s
  • and a zombie game

Of course it’s going to be insensitive to modern sensibilities.

What would be more interesting would be to take that and springboard into how AAA titles have/haven’t moved on and how some indie games are able to do interesting things in that space and gain traction 20 years later.

I cannot disagree with anything you’ve just said. Its good these discussions happen, but in this case, even though it reflects my politics, I found it really hard to keep a straight face.

ok well you’re of course entitled to your opinion, just expressing mine on that article :slight_smile:

Yeah there could be an article asking why police are only depicted as scumbags when you play from the perspective of a villain for example (though ironically Resi 2 links the police to the Umbrella corp) or in a game laced with satire like GTA

yeah that would also have been a good and denser article.

I get what you are saying with regards to it being a remake but it sometimes feels weird to me that a lot of the canon of great games just get received as these pieces of art without any context or anything.

I absolutely get that nobody wants to spend all their free time whilst they are trying to be entertained thinking about racism/sexism/normalising of violence etc but it seems to me like a site like waypoint which has this kind of thing as it’s whole mandate is a good place for these kind of discussions.