Gaming 2020 - Christmas sales now live across multiple storefronts

Been in a bit of a gaming rut in the back half of 2019. I’m having a massive, brutal clear out of installed nonsense I never play and getting back to basics. Gonna try and finish Res Evil 2, Disco Elysium* and possibly the Outer Wilds before that Monster Hunter expansion appears on PC. Then I’m gonna play that alongside short single player experiences I’ve been putting off in favour of mindless time sinks.

Having said that I’m also giving strong consideration to slaying this so called spire I’ve been hearing so much about. Which sounds like a massive time sink. Hmm.

*though I think I’ve got a glitch on my save which means I’d have to start over. So this may end up in the bin.

Crash difficulty spike fairened itself out a bit

have that Pinstripe, ya big melt

1 Like

2 Likes

Done and done :+1: :smiley:

Fallen Order for me. It’s good, but I’ve a nagging feeling I should be enjoying it more. Tomb Raider exploration with From Software combat all dressed up as Star Wars should be pretty much my perfect game, but this isn’t quite clicking for me. Probably a 7/10 so far, which is decent but I was hoping to be blown away.

How far through are you? I enjoyed it more once I unlocked more of the skill set.

Two new consoles due at the end of this year. Exciting times!

Thought it’d be interesting to see what people are planning on doing… Which one do you think you’ll get? Is it day one? Or are you out for the foreseeable future?

• PS5
  • Xbox Series X
  • Wait for both to launch and get one in 2021
  • I’ll be milking this gen for a while yet
  • PC Wanker 4lyfe mate

0 voters

Personally, I suspect I’ll likely stick with Switch until 2021 but have a hankering to get a PS5, having missed PS3 and PS4 and also wanting a Blu Ray player. Also suspect Sony will do VR again next gen. If it launches strongly, I may get it at launch as I don’t think I’ve ever bought a console day one before.

Fully suspect Microsoft to launch better, with the studio acquisitions, Gamepass and blatant need to. But I am always more interested in first party Sony games than Microsoft’s plus most of my friends will go PS5 eventually. I reckon Bloodborne, Outer Wilds, God of War, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 and Spiderman would keep me busy for a year or two even if the launch is weak.

Assuming I get one, and I’d assume I will, it’d be a PS5 - never had an Xbox and all my console gaming friends are PlayStation based so unless there’s a really good reason I don’t see why I’d switch

quite tempted to get into being a PC twat at some point soon though, as I’m well into my racing games and there’s plenty I’m interested that are PC only

1 Like

Xbox Series X, it sounds like you’ll be able to walk into a store with £20 and leave with an Xbox Series X and Gamepass. I have a PC and that PC is capable of running the next gen (apart from the SSD stuff which I might need to upgrade when it becomes more affordable) but I like the idea of having a box I can just pop into and load a game.

PS5… I’ll wait for it to get cheaper and will buy when there is enough I want to play. I find their first party stuff kind of samey now and their sales pitch so far seems like
A) its routed in the past
B) not overly compelling or convincing

I feel like PS5 is anticipating the console business to go one way, and I dont think its the right way, full pricebox, will not put first party games on PS Now at launch. havent confirmed if theyre gonna do the xbox thing of ‘you buy this game once and its yours forever on all our consoles’ (Xbox have confirmed that games you bought and run on the Xbox One will work on the Xbox Series X without extra cost. Sony have not)

Microsoft seem to be making the moves I want to see, but that could all change E3

Stick with Switch then get a Switch 2 when it’s out.

2 Likes

On my second trip to Kashyyyk. Maybe halfwayish? Have done two of the tombs

I jumped ship from xbox 360 to ps4 this gen and I’m mostly happy I did.

Ps4 has had far more of the games I love especially dark souls and bloodborne this gen.

However, my understanding is that xbox users get really good games free each month (is this right?), way better than ps plus so it’s hard to justify going ps5 unless that situation changes.

I’ll be intrigued to see if Switch is a ten year console like all their handhelds or a 5-6 year console like their home consoles. Probably between the two I reckon.

Nothing better than watching Liam Neeson in Fallout 3 peg it across the desert getting infinite batterings and just standing up and getting on his jolly way.

Loving Jedi Fallen Order. Just want to keep plowing through it. There’s a lot I like about it, but I wanna mention the environmental exploration which is fantastic. Feel like all the rewards/experiences are really satisfying, and the collectables are handled well i.e. it isn’t a series of endless chores like in Tomb Raider.

That and the platforming is more challenging than something like Uncharted, which is just a dull exercise in holding the stick in one direction and occasionally hitting x.

1 Like

I have nae even seen the cunt yet. Looking forward to this.

1 Like

Also bought Death Stranding which I’ll start in the next week or two. I’ve managed to avoid nearly all the chat about it so I don’t know what to expect other than it manages to be both tedious and exciting at the same time apparently.

1 Like

Gamepass is the netflix of gaming and works on PC and Xbox (and soon via video streaming app on tv’s, mobile phones and anythin with a browser) you get games every week currently for £3.99 (PC Only) or £6.99 (Console and PC) a month. All Xbox exclusives get added on there on day of release (for example Hellblade 2 which has just been announced will be on Gamepass the same day it hits shelves) they’re also starting to do day and date launches with more and more indie developers (Phoneix Point for example - The spiritual succesor to Xcom ) came out on the day on PC

Playstation has PS NOW which used to do only video streaming but they have addded the ability to play some PS4 games on there via download (they’re adding Horizon Zero Dawn) I believe this is £9.99 a month and they’re currently adding 2 or 3 games a month to it. It has a larger library than Game Pass but most of them are games like Alex Kidd which is played via video but you do get a decent amount of PS3 stuff too… but again all non ps4 stuff is video only and PS Now isn’t/… great in that regard. It also works on PC (Video only) . Sony has already ruled out the possibilityu of doing what Microsoft is doing and thats adding brand new first party titles to the service

If you have PC you can get Gamepass, EA Access Premier, Ubisofts one, Viveport (VR version) PS NOW and God knows what else (they really want a piece of the pie)_

And then there is Stadia which… yeah dont bother

Gamepass is simply better but Playstations has its equivelent

You can currently get Xbox on a montly plan (like smartphones) that comes with Gamepass and Xbox Live and you can upgrade every two years for the newest model or a replacment box or just keep the box you paid for (this doesn’t work out any more expensive than buying the BOX at retail and signing up for gamepass/xbox live)

‘Xbox All Access’ is game pass + live + a box for £17.99/month (base) and £24.99/month for One X (This is to be replaced by the new box)

https://www.game.co.uk/Xboxallaccess

^^ Like that, this will include the new consoles as well so it’s probably easier to buy in next gen, unless Sony unveil something similar (but their doesnt appear to be any plans to do so)

Ok you’ve still got some things to unlock, reckon there’s plenty of fun to be had. I didn’t love it but I definitely enjoyed myself a lot.