Gaming 2020 - Christmas sales now live across multiple storefronts

preordered mafia remake instead of a ps5

Almost pre-ordered a PS5 twice. Both times I hesitated and lost out. Going to try the Argos pre-order which goes live tomorrow, and if I don’t end up with one from that, I’ll just wait till next year.

Yeah it’s a bit absurd to say this, but knowing that I’ll get a PS5 eventually, I’d rather have one sooner so I can play PS4 games with a quieter setup. If the PS5 sounds anything like as loud as my PS4, I’ll be quite disappointed.

both my PS4 and PS4 Pro are ridiculously noisy, but the Pro seems really weird in that most of the time it’ll be fine and then out of nowhere it’s a jet engine because I opened a particular menu that is somehow more demanding than the actual gameplay?

hopefully the PS5 is better but we’ll see

A weird issue I’ve found in the past year is that going to the menu in most games causes the fans to really make some noise. Doom Eternal was the worst for this. It would be quite loud while playing it, and then go crazy when I paused it. If left on the menu for a while, like 5 minutes or more, then unpaused, the overheating message would appear and it would crash. Spiderman did this too, but some games have no rhyme or reason to it. Life is Strange 2 was as loud as The Last of Us 2 which seems odd.

I think my PS4 probably needs new thermal paste, but I’m not sure if I can be arsed to crack it open and mess with that. I probably should, as about a third of my posts in this thread are me whining about it. It’s just, SO LOUD.

1 Like

was it always like that or does it just need a clean?

MSI Z390-A PRO Motherboard ATX, LGA1151, DDR4, LAN, USB 3.1 Gen2, Type-C, M.2, RGB Mystic Light, VGA, DVI-D, Display Port, Intel 8th and 9th Gen

2 Likes

I’m thinking PS5 purely bc PS exclusives tend to be more up my street than XB ones and there’s enough crossover that I’m not arsed about whichever one i get

As standard I’ll give it a few years anyways

1 Like

first party games seem to be on their permanently

big games seem to be on there for quite a while. the ones that seem to have not been on there that long in my mind were the Rockstar ones, RDR2 went on in april and was left last week.

i can’t think of many occasions where i’ve had a game and it’s been taken off whilst i’ve been playing it. DOOM is one, but that was on there for about 18 months

1 Like

Frustratingly I’ll probably opt for the physical one but only for dvds and that

I’m saving to upgrade my PC to about a notch or two above, ‘plays new games in a way that isn’t obviously unstable’ level. Don’t care about frame rates etc beyond ‘does it work?’ and I can’t really justify buying games till a good while after launch so that should keep me going for a good while.

1 Like

I like how a week ago everyone was buying XBoxes and now no-one is.

2 Likes

it’s very much like watching aseries on netflix, there’s obviously always a chance they’ll take it off halfway through, but things are generally on there long enough to get decent mileage out of them.

plus, they let you know what 's coming and going and when, so you can always check if somethings about to leave before you start it

1 Like

Great thread:

3 Likes

Fuck your new gen consoles, the latest Nvidia graphics card is about to go on sale!!!

£650. looooool

I’ll get the PS5 probably after christmas with my annual bonus or something. my PS4 is really noisy but I don’t really need it. Expect there’ll be some deals after christmas.

It’ll save you money over time.

It’s so effin ugly. One of the reasons I haven’t pre-ordered… that and never managing to play the PS4 I already own.

Not sure some kid from a poor family on free school meals has £250 and £8 a week to fork out either but I see their point

Someone tell me why the Xbox S isn’t good value? Apart from Microsoft having worse exclusives. Does seem like a very attractive price point for a casual gamer compared to either PS option. Dangerously priced at a level where I could buy one by mistake when drunk

1 Like

i think its still too early to tell which is the strongest platform - if there even is one these days…

now its all pretty much PC architecture i don’t know if a game is going to look better on PS5 or Xbox or if one machine is going to be easier to develop for.

multiformat games are going to be on both, unless timed exclusives, so it comes down to which machine has the best exclusives, best offer, or which your mates have if for when multiplayer games dont do crossplay :man_shrugging: