Gaming 2021

ha! sega loved their bolt on console solutions

1 Like

Me too. Nice to have a glimpse of them.

When I left him my mum saved all the mags I bought. I must have spent HUNDREDS on them. Just about all my wages. No idea why I didn’t just buy more games, booze or a car.

I had an entire boxroom wardrobe full of Edge, Arcade, CVG, Mean machines, Sega Pro, Mega Master Force and OPM mags.

I think OPM was £5 an issue which then, was probably a lot

1 Like

found some on archive.org just browsing and wait wtf!!

CW: incredibly crass advert

2 Likes

on further inspection I think it’s best that I don’t remember much of the 90s at all

1 Like

Yeah some of the reviews have not aged well. And every big cover game gets 95%. And there are lots of scantily clad women used to sell games. And the humour is a bit dodgy.

Except in Edge, obvs.

1 Like

Arcade was a great magazine.

1 Like

Gone before it’s time R.I.P.

1 Like

Gamer mags back in the day may… OPM’s transition into the PS2 ers was less than graceful as it went full lads mag

1 Like

Road Rash on the Master System was impressively close to the Megadrive version:

3 Likes

wow yeah that does look very close actually!

1 Like

My gaming mag rotation was NOM and Gamesmaster, both of which I’d read cover to cover.

That Wimbledon game was ace!

1 Like

Sure was! Ploughed dozens of hours into it. One of the few good two player games on the machine really.

1 Like

been trying some of the ps plus games ive got in my library but never played, it isn’t going well.

started shadow of war last week as i quite liked the first one (terrible ending aside) but sacked it off after a couple of hours. just feels like more enemies crammed into a smaller space so going anywhere / doing anything is just a complete ballache?

moved onto yakuza kiwami this week as i loved the one yakuza game i played but bounced off this one hard. the combat isn’t fun, and there’s loads of it. cba with all that. need a new game

Idk why it didn’t click. I might try again. Maybe I just don’t have the skills.

Spoiler / hint re: level order

start with metal man unless you’re feeling up for a serious challenge - avoid heat man’s stage until after you have item 2 - quick man last

See I didn’t even realise there was a suggested order or items to get.

did you finish one stage? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No, I played for ten minutes, died a few times then went to play one of the million other games on my machine, I’m not some child in early 90s with one Christmas present to last me six months. Cater to my limited attention span!

Makes a huge difference. Every boss has weaknesses to other boss’s weapons. The manual that came with it (because I am that fucking old and have a weirdly good memory for this sort of shit) mistakenly suggested starting with Air Man, even though the opening run of his stage is nigh-on impossible with the basic weapon.

Which stage did you try?